Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Steering wheel issue, pics

Old 03-24-2015, 12:32 PM
150ron
1st Gear Member

Question Steering wheel issue, pics

So its now like this,

Name:  temporary_zpscjrvfqll.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  218.9 KB

its missing the center piece, the one with the mustang logo, horn, etc, i have that center piece, but when i try to push it on there, the horn goes off and it sparked, looks like the white plastic ring is broken?

Name:  temporary_zpsydmdpu9k.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  197.6 KB

Am i missing a piece between the steering wheel and the center piece? i want to put it back on so it could be the way its supposed to be, what do i need to do? thank you, Ron. 1966 v8 289.

Name:  temporary_zpsadc634bd.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  194.3 KB
Old 03-24-2015, 09:07 PM
150ron
1st Gear Member

Nobody knows?
Old 03-24-2015, 11:16 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

Yeah it looks like there's a broken tab on the back of the horn button. Replace that plastic, there's a spring that goes in there as well so the horn bounces back up after you push it. The plastic tabs on the back of the button go into the open slots on the wheel itself and you push then turn it to the right to lock it in. Disconnect your battery when doing the install and you won't be blowing the horn the whole time
Old 03-25-2015, 08:42 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

Most old mustang horn work on the hot side of the horn not the ground side. Many cars have power to one side of the horn, then the other side goes to the button which connect it to ground when you push it. Not so with old Mustangs I have seen. They have the horn button on the hot side, between the battery and the horn. This means there are 2 wires up the steering column for the horn which need connections and the wires must kept insulated from ground. You probably should have a phenolic disc with a copper copper ring on it with a connection for one wire and the other goes to the button. A spring on the shaft keeps them apart. Pressing the button connects the two.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:00 AM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Ron, what size wheels and rims are you runing? Is there any rubbing when turning, etc. etc. ?

Hump.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:25 PM
drewsky
3rd Gear Member

yah you need a new plascic piece, they sell a kit for the inside of these steering wheel center pieces at pretty much all classic mustang catalogs
Old 03-26-2015, 03:23 PM
150ron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustangdemon67
Yeah it looks like there's a broken tab on the back of the horn button. Replace that plastic, there's a spring that goes in there as well so the horn bounces back up after you push it. The plastic tabs on the back of the button go into the open slots on the wheel itself and you push then turn it to the right to lock it in. Disconnect your battery when doing the install and you won't be blowing the horn the whole time
Originally Posted by bop11
Most old mustang horn work on the hot side of the horn not the ground side. Many cars have power to one side of the horn, then the other side goes to the button which connect it to ground when you push it. Not so with old Mustangs I have seen. They have the horn button on the hot side, between the battery and the horn. This means there are 2 wires up the steering column for the horn which need connections and the wires must kept insulated from ground.

You probably should have a phenolic disc with a copper copper ring on it with a connection for one wire and the other goes to the button. A spring on the shaft keeps them apart. Pressing the button connects the two.
Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated.

Originally Posted by humpbackshooter
Ron, what size wheels and rims are you runing? Is there any rubbing when turning, etc. etc. ?

Stock Rims and stock tire sizes 197 /75-14 is whats marked on the tires.
Hump.
Originally Posted by drewsky
yah you need a new plascic piece, they sell a kit for the inside of these steering wheel center pieces at pretty much all classic mustang catalogs
yep, i ordered the plastic pieces and the spring from cjpony parts, should have it soon and all together, ill put up a update, thank you.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:30 PM
humpbackshooter
1st Gear Member

Are they the 4 bolt or did you install the 5 bolt adapter? If your running the 5 bolt, where did you get the adapter?

Hump.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:59 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

That is one well organized garage.

You make me sick.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:16 PM
150ron
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by humpbackshooter
Are they the 4 bolt or did you install the 5 bolt adapter? If your running the 5 bolt, where did you get the adapter?

Hump.
Hmm, i have no idea, it think this is how it came stock.

Originally Posted by fastbackford351
That is one well organized garage.

You make me sick.
lol, thank you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering wheel issue, pics