Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Roller cam conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 01:01 PM
_Remi
2nd Gear Member

Default Roller cam conversion

Hi all,

I have a little bit of money to spend and I was thinking about getting a new cam. While at it, I might as well convert to roller cam. Here is my setup:

- Performer heads (non RPM), I don't know if they are 1.90" or 2.02"
- Performer RPM cam
- Long tubes
- RPM Air Gap Intake
- Holley 600 cfm
- T5 with 3.73 gears

I have always had a bit of an issue with the way it drives. I may be nitpicking but it does not behave great at low RPM and it all started when I changed the heads. Like I said, I don't know if they are 1.90 or 2.02, if it is the latter it may be too big and explain that it does not work great. Anyhow, I believe that I can get a better cam that will give me more low-end and thus, make me happy! The performer RPM is known to be weak at low RPM and most agree that there's better options out there (like Comp cams).

What cam would you recommend if I decide to spend the extra dollars and go roller?

The way I understand it, there's pretty much only pros when going roller (aside from cost).

Cheers!
Old 10-21-2015, 09:56 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

You need to figure which heads you have before choosing a new cam, which you can do by calling comp cams techline.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Dave Severson

Originally Posted by 69mach1377
You need to figure which heads you have before choosing a new cam, which you can do by calling comp cams techline.

This gets my vote, too! No reason to guess on a cam when the Techs at Comp Cams are so damn good at getting you just what you need!!! Converting to roller is a really good plan, makes a lot of options available on cam selection!
Old 10-21-2015, 06:13 PM
barnett468
4th Gear Member

totally unnecessary to call comp but you certainly can, then compare hat they say to what others here say.

ok, you are going about this entirely the wrong way.

exactly what part number is the cam you have?

do you want a mild, moderate or rough idle?

do you want a tire roaster or a tire warmer?

do you want a lite to lite drag car or a freeway flier or inbetween?

do you like to rev your engine to the max rpm often?

what is your compression ratio?

is that a roller or flat tappet cam?

here is a good overall cam for your setup and you can buy it at summit racing.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1056&sb=0

you will need morel 5323 lifters with it . . colorado speed has the best price on those.

if you dont have roller cam springs, you will need them for a roller cam.

Last edited by barnett468; 10-21-2015 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 01:01 PM
Diputado
2nd Gear Member

Hey Remi,

I sent you a message earlier, but just in case, I'll say it again here. I think you'd be very pleased with a roller cam conversion for that 289. I just did that a few months back, and I'll never go back to a flat-tappet cam. The difference in terms of reductions in friction, heat, and increased HP/torque output is huge. I went with a custom setup from Ed Curtis at Flowtech, but there are also some good "retro-fit" cams out there from Comp and Lunati. Just make sure you go with a full roller setup (lifters, rocker arms). Another big advantage of a roller cam is that you can run a much more aggressive cam profile on the street than you ever could with a flat-tappet. For example, I'm running .573/.549 lift with 215/221 degrees duration. The engine has a nice slightly choppy idle and pulls strong and steady from about 1800 rpm on up. Just remember that this conversion will change your firing order to that of the 351W/5.0 HO. Just reroute the plug wires accordingly.

I've never used Edelbrock heads, but I really like the AFR 165s that I'm running (1.90 intake valves). As long as you keep your intake velocity up (not overly large valves or ports), you should be getting good torque and throttle response on the street.

By the way...what's your compression ratio?