Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rear Window Defogger

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 03:50 PM
Randall Winters

Default Rear Window Defogger

I recently bought a 65 coupe (Long story short basically I am now the second owner of this car - the woman I bought it from purchased it from a dealer in 1965 after it was returned by the previous owner - he returned the car after 6 months for financial reasons) and this is on mounted on the rear shelf, I've seen my fair share of 65 Mustangs and I have never come across this before. I did a search on another forum and I did see this photo (it's exactly what I have) and the comment was that it's a Ford part offered aftermarket to owners in 1966. Another Mustang owner thought it wasn't a Ford part at all, but was still installed by dealers to Canadian owners (the car is a Canadian car.. and I am in Canada). I did a search online for this item and found a similar photo on another post on a UK site but there wasn't any information on the assembly.

So basically I am looking to see if anyone knows more about this defogger assembly, was it a Ford part? I'm half inclined to leave it with the car, but part of me says to take it out because it's not OEM (unless I find out that it is).

Can anyone help out with more info?

Old 06-07-2016, 07:23 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

FoMoCo did offer a rear window defogger. I've seen a few of them and pulled them out of wrecks in junk yards but they were from 67-70 models and didn't look like that one. It's a neat period piece and if it still works, why not leave it in?

No part#'s on it are there?
Old 06-08-2016, 10:16 AM
Randall Winters

Yes it does work which is why I am considering keeping it there. As I said I haven't seen one of this design, usually they are center mounted and have a metal grill. Mine has a plastic body and is on the driver's side. I did find one for sale on EBay, but it's listed as Chev/GM/Ford/Dodge and it's a 6V unit.

The only numbers I can see on it (using a mirror to see the back side) are 15916, but those numbers don't come up on any Google search.

Thanks, hopefully I will find out more about it.
Old 06-08-2016, 09:33 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Actually the ones I found had plastic grills and if I remember right they were quite a bit bigger than the one you posted. They were about 6x8 and mounted in the middle of the package tray.