Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Installing Pinion Angle Shims

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 12:03 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Default Installing Pinion Angle Shims

So I am correcting my driveline angles and have purchased shims for the rear end. I want to hear from people that have installed these and see how they went about it. I have the type of shims with a hole not a slot.

The head of the leaf spring centering bolt fits through the hole in the shim, do I use a washer and install the leaf pack to sandwich the shim and leafs together?

Or do I simply add the included sleeve washer underneath the bolt head and the shim just sits on top of the bolt head meaning the u bolts just hold it down?

I think the second option is how it is supposed to be, but thought I would check with ya'll experts.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:09 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Sorry to waste a thread, looks like it is method 2. Found company instructions. Carry on...
Old 12-31-2016, 03:34 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

option 2?
Old 12-31-2016, 05:34 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Meaning I install the new bolt with the leaf pack but with the sleeve washer underneath, then the shim sits on top of the raised bolt head and the u bolts sandwich the shim and hold it in place. First experience with adjusting driveline angles, most of the other cars I've worked on are IRS or link suspensions where the driveline angles don't change much.