Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Hydraulic Clutch Conversion Options

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 10:13 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default Hydraulic Clutch Conversion Options

Now that I have a degree and a real job, and a house with side yard storage for the car, I'm going to start actually working on getting things done that have been on the back-burner for the past...well, a long time.

The car:
'67 fb, 331, factory bellhousing, close-ratio toploader, manual disc brakes

I could use opinions on the various hydraulic clutch conversion options on the market. I actually want to throw in a set of FPA headers, but I'm getting the idea that doing so with the factory z-bar setup is going to be a small nightmare, hence the hydraulic clutch investigation.

I've figured out that there isn't a good external slave option out there that's guaranteed to work well, so I'm looking at hydraulic TO bearing setups. As far as I can tell, that leaves me with American Powertrain, Modern Driveline, or a McLeod hydraulic slave and an alternative m/c (McLeod has a m/c kit, but it's only listed to work on 65-66 Mustangs).

Thoughts? Opinions?

Last edited by Starfury; 01-06-2017 at 01:18 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:47 PM
Gun Jam

How much different is this than the t5?

I've been running the CNC external slave and the master bolted to the firewall as you might expect. I got a bracket from Daze (not sure where the hell hes been) its been cherry for the last like 8 or 9 years or whatever daily driven...Getting the clutch preload is important for proper disengagement on the t5 setup.
Old 01-04-2017, 11:51 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Quite a bit, unfortunately.

The factory bell housing doesn't have provisions for an external slave, and the clutch fork pivots from the driver's side, necessitating a puller slave if one were to fab a mount of some sort.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:40 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Got my master/slave stuff from Ultrastang/Rosehill Performance parts. Not sure where the rumor started that it doesn't work...no issues since T5 swap 3 years ago.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:03 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

It works great with a T5 conversion, not so much with a toploader and factory bell housing.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:32 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Starfury
Now that I have a degree and a real job, and a house with side yard storage for the car, I'm going to start actually working on getting things done that have been on the back-burner for the past...well, a long time.

The car:
'67 fb, 331, factory bellhousing, close-ratio toploader

I could use opinions on the various hydraulic clutch conversion options on the market. I actually want to throw in a set of FPA headers, but I'm getting the idea that doing so with the factory z-bar setup is going to be a small nightmare, hence the hydraulic clutch investigation.

I've figured out that there isn't a good external slave option out there that's guaranteed to work well, so I'm looking at hydraulic TO bearing setups. As far as I can tell, that leaves me with American Powertrain, Modern Driveline, or a McLeod hydraulic slave and an alternative m/c (McLeod has a m/c kit, but it's only listed to work on 65-66 Mustangs).

Thoughts? Opinions?
Let me try again...
Congrats on getting your degree, job and house. Well done.
Those companies are well respected and I'm not aware any huge differences between 65-68 stangs, so maybe the McLeod is still in play?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Thank you

I think the firewall is a bit different from 65-66 to 67-68, necessitating a different m/c mounting bracket. There's also some clearance concerns with the brake m/c when you mount the clutch m/c at an upward angle (to allow for linear pedal effort).

I'm leaning towards the Modern Driveline setup as it modifies the pedal linkage to allow for linear effort while using the original linkage hole in the firewall.