Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

The Smart Direction

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 02:52 AM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

How many 66 stangs were there? 500,000?
plus 65s, 67s...
i would say average price for a nice one is 15~20k(?)
you would probably spend that to restore it to mint & your profit is $0.00
or, spend the money to build
what you want.
You buy a new one, the first thing that happens when you leave the dealer is that it deprecates in value, because it's "used"
You have a 66 that won't deprecate, if you look after it.
I would keep your 66 & mod it however you want & you have a modern car with retro style & looks that keeps its value.
But... i'm a girl.
& that's totally a girls car haha
Old 03-01-2017, 02:32 PM
BKKSW
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
How many 66 stangs were there? 500,000?
plus 65s, 67s...
i would say average price for a nice one is 15~20k(?)
you would probably spend that to restore it to mint & your profit is $0.00
or, spend the money to build
what you want.
You buy a new one, the first thing that happens when you leave the dealer is that it deprecates in value, because it's "used"
You have a 66 that won't deprecate, if you look after it.
I would keep your 66 & mod it however you want & you have a modern car with retro style & looks that keeps its value.
But... i'm a girl.
& that's totally a girls car haha
I thought there were a million made.. maybe that's 65&66 together. But how many 66 Ember-glo with A/C and luxury group and a V8? Maybe thousands.. but I'd like to know. Ember-glow (burnt - orange) was ahead of it's time, it wasn't popular. Now burnt-orange is hot, everyone loves it. Even guys..

Including the cost of the car ($4000 (I know, too much) I'll have 10k total into it by the time it's painted and ready to assembly. Rebuilding a factory 289.. especially if it turns out to be a virgin.. maybe $1200. Tranny works but I got a quote for $300 to have it rebuilt. He's done some other work for me and I've been happy so far. New bushings, ball joints, paint, complete new interior $1500.. $200 for interior bezels, buttons/handles/*****.. $200 to rebuild windows (didn't know wing window assemblies were over $500 each.. youch.. but mine are good), $300 for new bumpers (mine are straight but have a bit of rust). $400 for exhaust if I build it myself. Clutch kit $300. Window guy to put the windows back in $200. New gas tank $110. The AC might cost.. not sure on that. And a radio. So $15-16k if I leave a bit for unknowns. For a stock car. No dynamat, no 4bll, no hot engine, The original spinners are in great shape, tires are new. I'll probably upgrade to disc brakes just so the new owner doesn't crash it. So 17k tops.

What's a freshly restored 66 289 3 speed, dynacorn floorpan assembly, shock tower assemblies, combo radiator/cross member, tubs, shield kit and rubber kit for the shields, doors, fenders, hood,.. Ember-glow, 2 tone pony interior new, brakes/suspension/lines/radiator, all of it.. rebuilt. A/C. AM radio (might do one of those vintage looking modern ones), front disk brakes new, spare, trunk matt, jack, etc.. oh. wiring loom. I'm thinking 24-26k. Am I far off?

But I'm starting to think you all are correct. Just make it what I want.. spend more (a lot more) and enjoy it.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:25 PM
Gun Jam

Man thats kind of scary reading that.

I spent 450 on a t5 master rebuild kit and I think 1st gear , 2nd gear and the 1-2 slider was extra.

I have 1,000 in lower and upper a-arms

and 4,000 in power rack and pinion

and a 1000 in tires...never mind the wheels

I pretty much just annihilated your budget

Im not saying you cant meet your goal (although its a tall order)...but do you have a timeline? If its all good and ready in 5 years is that okay? Or is this something you want ready in 6 months?

Most guys spend 6,000 on paint and maybe a new carpet and redo some seat upholstery.

-Gun
Old 03-01-2017, 11:10 PM
BKKSW
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
Man thats kind of scary reading that.

I spent 450 on a t5 master rebuild kit and I think 1st gear , 2nd gear and the 1-2 slider was extra.

I have 1,000 in lower and upper a-arms

and 4,000 in power rack and pinion

and a 1000 in tires...never mind the wheels

I pretty much just annihilated your budget

Im not saying you cant meet your goal (although its a tall order)...but do you have a timeline? If its all good and ready in 5 years is that okay? Or is this something you want ready in 6 months?

Most guys spend 6,000 on paint and maybe a new carpet and redo some seat upholstery.

-Gun
If you build it stock the budget is obtainable. If you're restomodding it the sky is the limit. Same with paint.

I got to a lot of car shows, always have, and over the decades.. I've noticed a trend to where paint, interior, wheels.. they're way way better than a stock Mustang ever was. People are spending $500 on a set of billet hinges that someone will only see if the hood is up and you care to look. Or a $6000 paint job..

That's all well and good if you're into that, but I suspect most of these folks have never seen or drove an actual vintage Mustang that hasn't been restored more than a few times. I have, I used to buy $100-$200 64-70 Mustangs in the local paper and fix them up for funds to build my track cars. My mom dropped me off to grade school in a 67 GTA 390 Fastback and drove that care until 1995.. I took my first drivers test in that car. So when I say a stock Mustang, I know what a stock Mustang is, how it looks, how it drives, etc. And I'm good with that. Plenty of people love them.

I sincerely believe I can lay on better paint in my garage than Ford put on the original cars and I'm not a good painter. Maaco single coat paints for $199 are better than Ford put on original cars.

I think "mission creep" is the mistake almost everyone makes when starting out building a Mustang.. or most any muscle car. I can't count how many Mustangs I've seen at Mecum going for less than 10 cents on the dollar spent to make it.. in many cases 5 cents. I've always thought that if I was building a restomod.. and I might.. I'd spend some time at auctions looking for cars going for 5-10 cents on the dollar with the parts I want. A car with 100-10,000 miles build from premium parts would save me a bunch. There must be people doing this..

I think.. if I build this car for me.. it will have the best parts allowed in the class I'll race it in. But if I don't race it I won't mind a original restoration.. I could drive that around for years. An electronic ignition module and upgraded brakes would be all I need..

Btw.. I had the T45 in my 99 Cobra rebuilt, 26 spline shaft, kevlar syncros, all new seals and bearings.. it was under $2000.. A top loader is easier and if the gears are good.. $300 rebuild kits are fine. Labor on the tranny will be traded.

Time.. End of next winter. I'll get the body back in April or May.. it will roll in on a cart we welded together for this reason. Taking my time.. end of next winter. The engine will be done before the body is. How long did your car take?
Old 03-02-2017, 01:29 AM
Gun Jam

Cool well it sounds like you've got a solid plan.
Do your thing and let us know how it goes!
-Gun
Old 03-02-2017, 02:40 PM
BKKSW
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
Cool well it sounds like you've got a solid plan.
Do your thing and let us know how it goes!
-Gun
Thanks. I'll share as I go. If my budget is out of whack I'll post it.

If you take your mustang or engine or rear end or tranny to the best places and pay retail.. you'll never make profit on a car unless you're a top designer. But if you watch for deals, take advantage of sales, trade labor, etc.. you can make a bit. Maybe..
Old 03-02-2017, 02:42 PM
BKKSW
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bonnie sacer
hi, friend, i think you should restore it to original, just it is looks very nice. it is my own opinion.
Thank you. It is a sharp color and pretty interior.. I still have to crack the motor to know for sure.. soon I'll know..
Old 03-02-2017, 05:10 PM
Gravydog316
2nd Gear Member

My dads paint & chrome for his 49 ford was $10k
& they sell for around that.
keep your car.
(unless someone wants to buy it)
but thats just me
Old 03-02-2017, 06:19 PM
BKKSW
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
My dads paint & chrome for his 49 ford was $10k
& they sell for around that.
keep your car.
(unless someone wants to buy it)
but thats just me
LOL! Everyone has a price for their cars.. I tend to keep mine. My 99 Cobra was a happy divorce present and only has 51,000 miles on it.. I drive it, but I don't use it as a regular car. It winters in a nice climate controlled garage. My 66 will be much the same. Back in 2000 someone had a really nice 66 2+2 Fastback mustang, recently restored.. GT 4bl 289.. and he offered to trade straight up. At the time my Cobra was worth more and I'd just finished building it and I said no, wish I would have said yes. Now it's worth half and the 2+2 is worth double..

Your uncles 49 must be really nice. Pictures?