Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Cleaning My 289 internally

Old 04-06-2017, 06:17 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Default Cleaning My 289 internally

Hey guys, its been a while.

I have decided to pull the 289 4v out of my fastback this weekend and try cleaning it up internally. Its more of an inspection. I bought the car after it had sat for about 10 years. got it running and developed a tapping lifter. I pulled the lifters on the tapping side and replaced two, but it didnt help. Its now been sitting for about 2 years since then as I do body work. I believe the problem really lies in the oil flow. The upper end is dry as a bone. No fresh oil under the valve covers. Just old stuck on crap. So I figure, since it was running smoothly before I may as well pull the engine, clean the pan and internals, and inspect it, then put it back together to see if i can restore oil flow using a drill to prime the pump. maybe even slap in a new oil pump.

Any suggestions? I dont want to break apart the mains at this time, Ill be inspecting the lower end and cylinder walls for wear, but would like to just clean it. Maybe soak the heads in some deisel and scrub? Hit the rest with brake cleaner and wd40. New gaskets all around if it looks good enough to put back together. Have any of you done something like this from home without needing a full rebuild?
Old 04-06-2017, 07:00 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Honestly, if you're going through the effort of pulling everything apart, I'd at least inspect all of the bearings and clearances, and maybe see if you can measure the cylinder walls for side wear.

A new oil pump wouldn't be a terrible idea. Definitely prime before running, although I usually do it by hand with a socket wrench and a handful of extensions. No need for a drill.

Diesel works as parts cleaner, so does Chemtool. Brakleen is good at removing liquid oil and residue, but not caked on gunk.

Lifters could be soaked in mineral oil to loosen things up, although they need to go back in the holes they came out of if you reuse them.

As an alternative to pulling everything apart, you could consider changing the oil, adding a can of Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil, running at operating temp, then changing the oil again. That would clean a lot of the internal gunk out of the motor.

How are you adjusting the valves? It's not terribly difficult, but there are several ways to do it.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:24 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Hi Tad, I adjusted as per the book last time. Honestly I dont remember how I did it. but it made no difference. The Lifters were sticky as hell and a couple didnt want to move when I pulled them out.
With no oil getting to the rockers, I figured I would just pull it anyway.

Maybe ill get some spray seafoam and use it as a cleaner too. the odometer only reads 68k. but it was mostly town mileage from what I was told. A few miles at most back and forth daily.. And it seemed to be pretty well taken care of otherwise. I have all the maintenance receipts dating back into the 90's.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:04 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Spray Seafoam is good for degunking minor fuel buildup (like intake runners and carburetors), but not fantastic for hardened oil deposits. Chemtool or diesel are much better solvents, but you don't want to run those in your crankcase to clean things out.

It may be worth it to just replace all of the lifters (remembering to break them in after install). And at that point, you may think about a new cam, and if you're going to replace the cam....
Old 04-09-2017, 11:33 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Well its running again. I picked up a 4160 Holley 600 for a great deal at the local oRiley's and some sea foam. I got it running and then poured half the can of sea foam over the rockers on the noisy side, and after it heated up I got some flow and it quieted down a bit. I'm going to do some more to it today and then probably change the oil after running it around a little to get some of the deposits broken down.
Old 04-09-2017, 04:56 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Good to hear!

Search this Thread