Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Spare tire size

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 04:44 PM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Arrow Spare tire size

Fellow Members,

I recently purchased a 15"x7 rim for a spare tire for my 67 Coupe. My standard rims are 17"x7.

Question: I need to buy a tire to mount on this 15" spare rim and I wanted to know if there is recommended limit on reducing the diameter for the spare tire. As you know the trunk space is limited and trying to put a full size wheel (25.5"dia overall) is very cramped.

I am looking at a 195/45/R15" which would reduce the overall diameter of the spare to ~22".

I have read differential "overheating" problems with reduced wheel diameters. Since this is an open diff is it still a serious problem for a spare/emergency use only tire ?

What say you?
Old 05-07-2017, 08:18 AM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Although there were no replies and made the decision to go with 195/55/R15 for my spare tire size.

This setup fits wells in the original trank location and doesn't obstruct the trunk hinges. As well, the 15" rim size will still clear my future Wilwood disc conversion setup.

I need to fab a tool holder for the jack and breaker bar. This will be made of foam and placed on top of the gas tank to the right side and the spare will be place over the top of it. I also plan to tig weld an aluminum center cap to go into the spare hub as a hold down plate with j-hook and wing nut.

Pics to follow in a few weeks.