Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Radio Noise Suppressor

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 01:47 PM
genec728
1st Gear Member

Default Radio Noise Suppressor

My 66 convertible that I bought from the original owner over 30 years ago does not have a radio noise suppressor on it. I've found out that one should be mounted atop the Voltage Regulator. A short yellow wire, about 6", that is in the voltage regulator connector would plug into the noise suppressor. The same type short yellow wire that is included in my voltage regulator connector is connected to a black wire which has been spliced on to the black/green stripe wire that is connected to the starter solenoid.???? Obviously done by the previous owner. Why he would have done this I have no idea. I never noticed this before I just bought a new complete wiring harness that connects the voltage regulator, the lights, horns ., alternator and starter solenoid.

Did all cars like mine come from the factory with a radio noise suppressor?? Have any of you installed a new wiring harness that is located on the firewall just left of the brake master cylinder?? If so did the short yellow wire connect to your noise suppressor(if you have one) mounted at the voltage regulator?? If I purchase a new radio noise suppressor and install it and connect it to my new wiring harness will I be able to do away with the spliced wire the previous owner attached to the old wiring harness and have good electrical connections???

I would really appreciate an answer to any of my questions concerning this matter as I know nothing about electrical problems.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:54 AM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

There use to be a yellow wire from the center of the ignition switch (on when key is on) that went to the starter solenoid and to the A terminal of the voltage regulator. The Black green wire also comes from the center of the ignition switch but should go to the Fuse box. So something must have burned on the car and the easiest fix was to splice the yellow into the black and green. The short yellow also goes to the A terminal on the regulator and hooks to a capacitor noise suppressor. Most cars with electromagnetic voltage regulators have used noise suppressors for generator hash and regulator clicking. since radios were put into cars. Resistance spark plug wires are used to eliminate the ignition ticking. These are carbon core wires, not copper core.
Now days with Alternators and solid state regulators and with coils on top of the plug, and better radio shielding, the need for these suppressors has been eliminated.
Old 05-10-2017, 10:51 AM
genec728
1st Gear Member

Thank you so much, bop11, for your reply and information. I have ordered a radio noise suppressor from Mustangs Unlimited and when I receive it I'm going to mount it atop the voltage regulator, disconnect the short yellow wire that has been spliced on to the long black wire and plug the short yellow wire into the noise suppressor and see if I have full electric service without the black wire splice. Thanks again and I'll let you know if this works.
Gene
Old 05-10-2017, 04:08 PM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

Please disregard some of my previous post. My eyes were deceiving me the yellow wire that went to the ignition switch goes to the power feed on the ignition not the center. This position is the battery feed to the ignition switch That yellow wire is connected to the positive side of the starter relay. A second yellow comes from the power side of the starter relay to the regulator .
It looks like the Black and green wire and the black wire you mentioned are his additions. He either burned them up or caught them in the fan. He may have moved the black and green from the center of the ignition switch and used it. I hope the diagrams help.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:05 PM
genec728
1st Gear Member

Well I received the Radio Noise Suppressor I ordered and bolted it onto the bolt at the top of the voltage regulator at the location where the factory installed the originals in 1966. I undid the splice on the short yellow wire coming out from the voltage regulator that has been connected to the strange solid black wire and this black wire then was spliced on to the black/green wire inside the wiring harness. I then connected the wire on the noise suppressor to the short yellow wire at the regulator. I thought this was probably the way it came from the factory before the previous owner did away with the suppressor for some reason. Hooked the battery back up, turned the ignition key on and got nothing. All the electrical items in the car were dead. Reversed this whole process back to the way it was and all electrical works fine again. This means I can't install the new wiring harness I purchased that hooks up to almost everything electrical under the hood. This new harness has all the same color wires and connections just like my old 50 year old harness. Oh well, maybe someone will have an answer for me someday. In the meantime I'm going to try to find a 1966 Mustang convertible, 6 cylinder like mine in my area and see how it is wired. Thanks again for all your help!!
Old 05-15-2017, 02:53 PM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

The way you have it now, without the key in the ignition is there power to anything?
Old 05-18-2017, 05:57 PM
genec728
1st Gear Member

Yes I have power to all electrical after I switched back to the way the car has been since I've owned it with the strange black wire spliced onto the radio noise suppressor wire at the the voltage regulator and to the wiring harness on the firewall. As stated above previously I cannot install my new wiring harness that connects to the voltage regulator, the noise suppressor, the headlights, the park lights, the horns, the alternator and the starter solenoid. With the way it is now the only electrical problem I have is when I switch the turn lever for a right turn both taillights and park lights blink but when I turn the lever for a left turn only the left side lights blink. I've had this problem for a while but haven't figured out how to correct it so I just live with it.
Thanks for your info.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:21 PM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

Don't know if this came through but it might help with turn signals
Old 05-31-2017, 03:21 PM
bop11
2nd Gear Member

Sorry I can't seem to get the picture to post. Never had this problem before.