Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Starter problem, 289, 157 teeth flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 03:01 PM
damir.greguric

Default Starter problem, 289, 157 teeth flywheel

Hi from Croatia, Europe.
I have Mustang 289, manual transmission, 3 speed.
I have changed flywheel, bought new one 157 teeth SFI Flywheel billet steel 28oz and new starter Speedmaster PCE393.1011/Procomp PC2107M. I also checked for belhousing size and distance between bolts with top starter bolts are as needed to be for 157 teeth belhousing (16_27/32 inch).

So everything shold be fine but starter on fist move sounds as he should but after few more turns started to make metal sound and to chewe teeths on new flywheel.
Please help, where can I find cause? Only thing that is different is that new starter has 10 teeths and old vintage that was replaced had 9 teeth. Is problem in starter? Company that sold me a starter said that this starter should work same for 157 and 164 teeth flywheel.
Please help.
Regards,
Damir
Old 10-31-2017, 08:32 PM
imp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by damir.greguric
Hi from Croatia, Europe.
I have Mustang 289, manual transmission, 3 speed.
I have changed flywheel, bought new one 157 teeth SFI Flywheel billet steel 28oz and new starter Speedmaster PCE393.1011/Procomp PC2107M. I also checked for belhousing size and distance between bolts with top starter bolts are as needed to be for 157 teeth belhousing (16_27/32 inch).

So everything shold be fine but starter on fist move sounds as he should but after few more turns started to make metal sound and to chewe teeths on new flywheel.
Please help, where can I find cause? Only thing that is different is that new starter has 10 teeths and old vintage that was replaced had 9 teeth. Is problem in starter? Company that sold me a starter said that this starter should work same for 157 and 164 teeth flywheel.
Please help.
Regards,
Damir
I believe you found the problem. 164 teeth flywheel has starter located slightly farther out. The 10 teeth starter may be only for 164 teeth flywheel. Before anything else, I would take cover plate off front of bellhousing, mark space between two flywheel teeth with white paint, and turn by hand, counting number of teeth, make sure it is 157, not 164. If OK, try another parts supplier, check starter he gives you for 9 teeth. imp
Old 11-01-2017, 02:02 AM
damir.greguric

Thanks imp,
I already checked twice, flywheel is 157 teeth, bellhousing is by measuring also for 157 teeth, so probably al problems are in starter. As I can read from posts here it is very confusing and problematic topic.
I ordered starter for manual transmission but I can read that important is to figure if I need starter with short or long nose because this manual/automatic transmission marking is confusing. I will try to get answer from Speedmaster to see differences from their two starter models for 289, which one is with shorter nose and which one with longer
Attached Thumbnails Starter problem, 289, 157 teeth flywheel-nqy54.jpg