Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

part exchange on a 64.5 early mustang

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 10:43 AM
Gurmals

Default part exchange on a 64.5 early mustang

Good morning, I don't know who to turn to but I am starting with you all if you would not mind sharing your thoughts and expertise. I bought a 1964 mustang, not in very good shape but little to no rust but the last vin shows 100096. this vin number is on the sheet metal on both sides where the fender bolts on. the door was changed so it does not have the vin plate on the door. I have a 66 mustang that we bought as a father and daughter project and put in over 7500 in parts into it not knowing it had frame damage. My question is this an early Mustang that I have a rare find and need to be concerned about reinstalling my 66 parts on or does it not matter because it seems like no one really knows what came off the production line. just trying to get some information on what I have my hands on.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:31 PM
barstowpo
2nd Gear Member

You will likely get as many different opinions as you get answers. If this is a Worlds Fair car or early prototype it could be worth a lot properly restored. I don't have any of my reference material available at the moment. Do some research on the early production cars. They had a lot of unique parts. Does your car have options or is it a plain Jane 6 cylinder? Bolt on parts can always be removed. I would save all the date coded originals though.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:34 PM
JimC

You might find someone with greater knowledge of the early Mustang at Mustang Club of America. I think it is $50 a year to join and they have "experts" in the early years.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:08 PM
Gurmals

Originally Posted by JimC
You might find someone with greater knowledge of the early Mustang at Mustang Club of America. I think it is $50 a year to join and they have "experts" in the early years.
it's a full vin is 5R07D. SO ITS A V8 CAR WITH 4 be real carb 3 speed