Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Axle Flange Warped

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 11:44 AM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Arrow Axle Flange Warped

Fellow Members,

I am in the process of installing a Wilwood rear disc brake kit.

Upon installation of the new rotor, caliper and pads I noted that when rotating the axle its rubbing on one third of the rotor face without any brake pressure.

I plan to put a dial indicator on it to get a hard number but my guess is its warped ~0.010 - 0.015".

I price a new bare axle at $200. My question is:

1. would it be worthwhile to try and salvage the old one by having the flange face machined true
2. or should I just start all new. Of course this means new axle, new studs (swap the new bearing I just installed). My guess is all in it will be ~$250 - 300.
3. or just run it first and see how she goes.

What say you ?
Old 02-08-2018, 11:50 AM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

Very hard to imagine the axle flange is warped. However, I would recommend a new axle. Did you make sure to shim the caliper so that the rotor was dead center of the caliper?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:05 PM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by proeagles
Very hard to imagine the axle flange is warped. However, I would recommend a new axle. Did you make sure to shim the caliper so that the rotor was dead center of the caliper?
Yes. I have two shims on each caliper bolt. I tried three but it was too much.

When I free hand turn it I can visually see the out of plumb condition on the rotor. I just pulled the rotor off and I can see axles flange drifts left to right (when viewing from the rear to the front of the wheel well).
Old 02-08-2018, 12:06 PM
Gun Jam

I actually had a bent rear axle and I was getting about .015 of runout along the face. I just built a "dial" indicator out of a metal punch and a pole that stood up well on its own. If you can see the flange pull away or run into the metal punch that is good enough (its junk) Max amount of run out its about .002 so if you can see it move then its bad.

I replaced both axles with a set of Tom's Kick *** axles and have had zero issues with them.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:08 PM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
I actually had a bent rear axle and I was getting about .015 of runout along the face. I just built a "dial" indicator out of a metal punch and a pole that stood up well on its own. If you can see the flange pull away or run into the metal punch that is good enough (its junk) Max amount of run out its about .002 so if you can see it move then its bad.

I replaced both axles with a set of Tom's Kick *** axles and have had zero issues with them.
Can you recommend a website ? Disregard. I found it.

Last edited by PotteryPal; 02-08-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:23 PM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Arrow

Well I cleaned the axle flange surface and put a dial indicator on the left side and woah!!!

She's out a bit. I measured 0.025 - 030" out at the worst spot. So the axle is fk'd.

I called and left a message for Toms KickAssAxles. I hope to hear back tomorrow. I have to keep this project moving forward.

Can anyone else recommend another made in the USA axle mfg ?
Old 02-13-2018, 09:26 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Get a new axle. The flange is not warped the axle is bent right behind the flange. Most likely hit a curb or something at some time. Replace it and move on- even a junkyard axle should be fine and they're cheap. Or find one on craigslist. Where I am(70 miles east of Chicago) I can find old mustang parts all over the place dirt cheap.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:35 AM
PotteryPal
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by racer_dave
Get a new axle. The flange is not warped the axle is bent right behind the flange. Most likely hit a curb or something at some time. Replace it and move on- even a junkyard axle should be fine and they're cheap. Or find one on craigslist. Where I am(70 miles east of Chicago) I can find old mustang parts all over the place dirt cheap.

yes. I got in touch with Tom’s Differentials. I decided to purchase 2 new axles. Prices were reasonable.