Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Export brace replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default Export brace replacement

Old Yeller still has the factory two piece export brace, and no Monte Carlo bar. I have been thinking about replacing the export brace with a new one, but can't decide if it should be a one piece permanent one, or one that has a quick release so I can get it out of the way when working on the rear on the engine and engine bay. I ran across this and want to ask your opinion. What do you think?
http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...27_0207_brace/
Old 11-19-2005, 07:08 PM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Export brace replacement

Im going to look in a monto carlo bar, and other suspension items. How quick that car slid out of control is still fresh in my mind, and i want better handling.
Old 11-19-2005, 08:35 PM
lClutchl
3rd Gear Member

You like the original look, so I think you should go with a one piece. A one piece is just as good as the newer one. Plus... the one in the article just screams restomod.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Yeah, I was thinking that too. OK, forget it. I'll get the black one piece. No chrome in my engine bay.
Old 11-19-2005, 10:00 PM
tylerdru
4th Gear Member

Okay guys, should the brace where it meets up with the shock tower be welded to the shock tower?
Old 11-19-2005, 10:40 PM
73Cleveland
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tylerdru

Okay guys, should the brace where it meets up with the shock tower be welded to the shock tower?
Bolts up on my 73.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:13 PM
351foxstang
3rd Gear Member

tyler,
on my 67' they bolt to the shock hold down cap thingy. ill check the new 66' when we get it, as long as everything goes smoothly in the transaction.
carl
Old 11-19-2005, 11:13 PM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Come on soaring...you know better than that.

Those two peice bolt in things you have with the tab welded to the shock tower are not an export brace and should not be refered as one. They are plain and simply named, and should be refered to as, "shock tower braces" which is what they are.

The export brace is called an export brace because the mustang needed it to of course be exported and sold in other countries where the body had too much flex for the types of roads the car would need to drive on. The one peice bolt in unit that connects both shock towers and the firewall area is a true export brace.

So should you put you one???...hell yeah.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:10 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

I stand corrected Nick. [sm=bustedsign.gif]
Old 11-20-2005, 09:11 AM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

be warned glen, that these cars are old (yeah im sure youve caught on) but the front end has all that weight on it for so many years, itll eventually begine to buckile in a little bit. When you go to replace the old flimsy ones, with the solid one, just be advised the new one might take some "special handling" to get it to fit. IMO a good portion of cars need to have the shock towers pulled a little to get it to fit at all, but that only happens when a big block is involved. hope this helps budy

Quick Reply: Export brace replacement