Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

No more Autolite Sta-Ful

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 01:24 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

Default No more Autolite Sta-Ful

Just wanted to let you guys who are purists when it comes to these cars, or perhaps those that are/were planning on putting the Autolite STA-FUL battery in your cars. I have a repro one in my car, but the damn thing cranks like crap, and is useless in the cold, and to top it off, it leaks acid all over the apron. So i got some money for christmas as you know, so i decided to call up NPD becasue the were showing the autolites in a new sealed case. I was thinking right on no more mess, they have better cranking power, and still look stock.......wouldnt u know, the manufacture that makes them went out of buisness becasue they were selling bad batteries and not giving exchanges or refunds....... i asked if anyone else sold them, and "Cid" told me no, they were the only ones.

i checked online today and found that one company makes them, howver also would like 300 bucks for it!!!! yeah right....im all sad now, i was ready to just by a sealed battery and buy one of those tops that duplicate the originals, but just decided id cry instead
Old 01-03-2006, 02:14 PM
waxyourboard
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: No more Autolite Sta-Ful

You could get a sealed battery for dd, and use your autolite for special occasions, i don't think that'd be too much of an insult to the originality of the car
Old 01-04-2006, 01:10 AM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

I used one of those false tops over a maintenance-free battery for several years of pretty intense showing. Very convincing. Most folks never noticed it wasn't the real deal. If you're concerned about originality, I'd highly recommend one.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:18 AM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

thanks dan, i called up NPD and am getting one shipped so.... I appreciate it though, i asked the guy at NPD how they looked and he said pretty good, but who know though i wanted your guys opinion before i bought it. Real quick Dan, how do the covers go on? And more i think of it, doesnt the posts ontop the battery get shortened?, i hate to say it but....im confused[&:]
Old 01-04-2006, 11:00 AM
Dan66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gta289

...how do the covers go on? ...doesnt the posts ontop the battery get shortened?
They simply lay on top of the battery and are held down by the cables. Yeah, I suppose they do make the posts a tad shorter, but not enough for anyone to ever notice. I know I never did.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Elenor

WHY NOT JUST GET A OPTIMA
Old 01-04-2006, 10:38 PM
1965MustangFastback
2nd Gear Member

Just get a Die Hard from Sears and use the Repro for car shows!
Old 01-06-2006, 02:13 PM
gta289
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Elenor

i dont know if you know, but my car is done to concourse standards, and in relation to that, i cant put a optima POS in my car because its not original. Ill ask ur opinion in the future when i need it, but i dont see that happening anytime soon with a screen name like Elenor, im not gonna take advise from
Old 01-06-2006, 03:04 PM
Elenor

It's spelled Concours.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Eclipstang

ORIGINAL: gta289

ORIGINAL: Elenor

i dont know if you know, but my car is done to concourse standards, and in relation to that, i cant put a optima POS in my car because its not original. Ill ask ur opinion in the future when i need it, but i dont see that happening anytime soon with a screen name like Elenor, im not gonna take advise from
lol keep ur 11 volt battrey an buy booster cabels and park on the hill ill boost ur concourse stang

Quick Reply: No more Autolite Sta-Ful