Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

radiator problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 11:52 PM
asko98
1st Gear Member

Default radiator problem

drove my mustang last night from mechanics house and about 10 min. down the road the temp. guage read 250 degrees, pulled over fine mist of radiator fluied every where ended up towing the stang home, my night s**ks and just had the engine worked on hopefully it did not do any damage...the radiator was old...my question is what is your set up when it comes to radiator, do you have over flow catch with your radiator...if you have any images please post...i have a 289 engine,65 model coupe...automatic...
Old 01-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Silver Ponys
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: radiator problem

I think most people have added a catch can its not hard and you can make one out of salvage yard parts. The important thing to do is find the cause of your overheating a catch can wont fix that. You need to do a pressure check on your cooling system and find any leaks. It may have overheated because it was low on coolant. A new rad will run from 100 to 200 dollars
Old 01-27-2006, 12:45 AM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

250 degrees in 10 miles? Sounds to me like the coolant isn't circulating. Assuming that you have a radiator full of coolant... Better check for a stuck thermostat or faulty water pump. Is the water pump seeping out of the two small notifier holes? Did you use an aluminum aftermarket pump ? If so, make sure it isn't a marine style pump. They spin backwards. Good luck, Dean
Old 01-27-2006, 12:49 AM
asko98
1st Gear Member

the radiator had hole and from what i can see that was the only place where the coolant was coming out...i will buy a new radiator and shraod...i also had a new thermostat...before the problem started the egine was just worked on and when the work was done, the mechanic properly ran the engine and no problems and he did this several times, but never took it on the road...until i tried to drive it home...
Old 01-27-2006, 12:58 AM
redstallion
2nd Gear Member

replace that 2 row with a 3 or 4 row.....for a couple bucks more it'll be worth it
Old 01-27-2006, 01:48 AM
RSRXION
2nd Gear Member

What is the timing set at ? Does the motor ping ? Is it possible running lean perhaps ? Dean
Old 01-27-2006, 02:19 AM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

I had this problem after I rebuilt my 289 last year. I had the thermostat flipped around the wrong way, which is very easy to do cuz it goes in either way. You might want to check that...
Old 01-27-2006, 02:20 AM
asko98
1st Gear Member

engine is running smooth...
Old 01-27-2006, 02:30 AM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

I would check that thermostat if I were you. Same thing with my car. It would run fine for a few minutes, but the pressure would build after it warmed up. Then, with no where to go, the water would force its way out of the radiator gills.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:08 PM
CRIMPS66

I recently took on a project 66 coupe with a rebuilt 289, bored 30 over, a mild cam had been installed, with a few other mods. Of course the original radiator and fan can't keep up with this, especially in the dallas summer heat. Talk about major heat! What is everyone else running? I know a 4 core and a fan shroud would help. Any other suggestions?

I am sure that the timing could be adjusted a little bit better to run a little cooler. There is also a chance that the holley carb that was installed is running a rich mixture. Who knows what else.

Thanks for any info.

Z

Quick Reply: radiator problem