Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Budget 68 Resto-Mod 4.6 DOHC. (All my work condensed)

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:28 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

Default Budget 68 Resto-Mod 4.6 DOHC. (All my work condensed)

Sorry to those who have a slow connection.

I just posted this in a new forum I joined and realized I have never posted it here.

How small of a budget? I’ve spent less than $1k on this project since the start of it.

I started this project almost 2 years ago but I’ve been away at college so I’ve really only gotten to work on it for a couple months during the summer.

The project car is a 1968 Mustang Coupe which was my first car in high school. I drove it as a daily driver for a few years but it was not the most reliable or comfortable car to be driving around. I started looking for improvements like fuel injection, power brakes and steering, suspension upgrades etc. but as I’m sure all of you know that stuff adds up quick and being a college student I could barely afford a disc brake conversion. I thought to myself that just about any new car has all the stuff I wanted for my mustang.

I saw the SN65 mustang, for those that aren’t familiar with it, it is a 65 fastback with the body cut off and mated to an 03 Cobra chassis. I thought it was a great idea but the problem with that is at the time I started my project a wrecked 03 Cobra was still bringing over $10k. I really liked the 4.6l DOHC though which lead me to the Mark VIII. After a few months stalking ebay I found a 96 Mark VIII that had extremely light front end damage (busted headlight, grill and hood) and bought it for $600. Around the same time I picked up the June 2007 issue of HOT ROD that featured a 67 fastback built by Bobby Alloway which used an Art Morrison MaxG chassis, again way too costly for me.

So my project became somewhat a mixture of the SN65 and the 67 built by Alloway. My family owns a small steel supply company so I had them order me 48ft of 2”x3”x1/8” (they didn’t normally stock it) and I decided to build my own frame. The design of my frame was loosely based off the MaxG chassis in the way that it had frame rails along the perimeter of the body and through the center. One thing I didn’t like about the Alloway mustang was that the floor was raised 4” to accommodate the chassis. To avoid this on my build the perimeter frame rails were tucked inside of the rocker panels.
The front and rear of my frame were made to accept the suspension from the Mark VIII.

Ok enough with the background.

Here is the car I started with.

First thing I did was cut the front end off. I don’t have many pics from the beginning but this would be the OH **** what did I get myself into stage of the build.

After that the floors were completely cut out and the frame was installed. Here is a drawing or the fame.

Here are a few pics with the drive train marked up. I used the shock towers from the Mark VIII as well.

The next step was rebuilding the floor and front sheet metal.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:30 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

Somewhere along the way I decided I needed a rotisserie so I gathered up some old channel and few pieces of pipe and part of a log bunk from an old log truck and made my own. It’s nothing fancy I think I threw it together in around an hour or two.

Along the way I stripped the paint to bare metal and replaced the quarter panels.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:31 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

I decided to go with a clean sleek look so I shave the doors and drip rails. The drip rails still need some work. This was nearing the end of my summer so I didn’t get time to finish some of the things I was working on. I prepped it and shot it with a coat of epoxy primer so it didn’t set around and get surface rust all over.

For the most part that is how the project has remained since August. Over spring break I got a chance to do a few things.

I couldn’t use the stock tank so I welded up my own to be used with the Mark VIII in tank pump.

I also built a custom hood scoop over break.

The last thing I did before I left for college was finish up the rear section of frame under the trunk floor.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:38 PM
cxr
2nd Gear Member

DUDE..... your thread is like crack, i am totally hooked now!!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:03 AM
MasterLow
1st Gear Member

TEACH ME!
Old 03-31-2009, 12:11 AM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

Dude, you're my age and are doing an incredible job compared to me. I feel lazy now! I thought about the 4.6l but couldn't find a car plus learned of all the stuff I'd have to do to get it work and just went with the fox's 5.0.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:48 PM
stangtjk
2nd Gear Member

Thanks guys. Another month and a half and I'll be out of college and be able to start back up on the project. I hope to have it drivable by the end of this summer.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:51 PM
vineman
2nd Gear Member

Thats my goal for me also. i have a month and a half left also and i just want to get it to where i can move it in the driveway from out of storage and into the garage to work on it and onto a trailer under its own power. i still have quite a bit of body work to do before i can start putting it back together again.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:24 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

Holy schizzle! That's some bad-azz work. Why are you going to college, I'm pretty sure Foose could use the competition ......
Old 03-31-2009, 04:04 PM
matto1975
2nd Gear Member

wow, great work. I wish I was as handy as you. I have a 68 you can get right to work on!!

Quick Reply: Budget 68 Resto-Mod 4.6 DOHC. (All my work condensed)