Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New here first post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 01:36 PM
joecat

Default New here first post!

First post. Your thoughts on a 97 gt vert with 107k. Top leaks into the passenger side back. Just passed inspection. 1 owner from the south. How much is it worth?
Old 03-08-2007, 01:44 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: New here first post!

Hi & welcome to MF. I need more info on the car to know what it is worth....

One good thing to do is check out a website like autotrader.com & see what similar cars are selling for. That'll give you a good ballpark $. Remember that if a car is modified, often the price goes DOWN not up. If someone selling a car had put naawwwzzz & slicks on it you can be sure it's been heavily thashed
Old 03-08-2007, 01:55 PM
joecat

Thanks for the quick reply! Seems a little beat, no mods as i can see, but could have been removed at some point, the top is not ripped, it drives good and seems strong. The only thing i don't like is its an auto? How do the trannys hold up in this things.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:46 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

hard to say how the tranny is in a 10 year old car. Test drive it, and several times really PUNCH the throttle & let it rev fully & shift gears. Does it shift cleanly? Any weird noises?

Also pull out the tranny dipstick & smell it. A burnt smell means old fluid and/or a worn out tranny. "brand new" clean fluid might also be a concern, as it makes you wonder why the guy changed the fluid just before selling the car

Old 03-08-2007, 08:57 PM
93 FHP SSP
4th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 PM
joecat

Well i'm in!!!! 97 gt vert! Bought it for $4500! Everything seemed ok. Tranny, engine strong. No rips or tears in leather or top, acually better than i thought it would be. Front end feels a little loose, might need some suspension work. The idle is a a little rough, a little surge, then back to normal. Going to go through it and i am sure i will have some questions. Don't worry, i will use the search button before throwing up another dumb question. AfterTHE DETAIL i'll post pics. Thanks guys.

Joe
Old 03-08-2007, 09:30 PM
93 FHP SSP
4th Gear Member

Good luck with your stang. Sounds like a pretty good price.
Old 03-08-2007, 10:11 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Congrats dude! Give her a good tune up & also check & if needed flush all the fluids to get everything as good as possible. & yup post a pic when U get one [8D]

Old 03-09-2007, 01:36 AM
vt89gtvert
4th Gear Member

I would replace all the littl things before to long. Oil, plug, wires, filters, ect. People might say they take really good care of their cars and the like, but the best way to know is to just do it yourself.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:02 PM
joecat

Planning on it, I will have fun tinkering. Since this is my first Vert and Mustang and Ford for that matter, It will be a little learning experence.

ORIGINAL: vt89gtvert

I would replace all the littl things before to long. Oil, plug, wires, filters, ect. People might say they take really good care of their cars and the like, but the best way to know is to just do it yourself.

Quick Reply: New here first post!