Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

top not closing even

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:54 PM
ak47dennis
1st Gear Member

Default top not closing even

Are their any adjustments on the frame?

The top on my 95 GT doesn’t close as tightly against the driver side windshield as it dose on the passenger side. Also it seems like it doesn’t want to line up without applying a fair amount of force. I have tried loosening and tightening the latch but it doesn’t really help.
Also my front driver’s window is out of adjustment it actually goes over the rear quarter glass window frame by aprox ¼ when they are both up, not sure if the two problems are related.

I do plan on replacing the top since it has a split in it, just not right now.

thanks
Old 04-27-2007, 02:29 AM
tricci4

Default RE: top not closing even

one of your cylinders may not be extending all the way for whatever reason..
Old 04-27-2007, 10:34 AM
blybdas

Don't know about the 95's, but both of my 92 verts have framebolts behind the rear interior quarters. I found this out the hard way. When I bought the last one (2 weeks ago), the top was hella crooked. Took the quarter trim off and found all of those bolts loose. I'm new to verts, myself, so I don't have a lot of info. Hope this helped.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:25 AM
ak47dennis
1st Gear Member

I will check it today; my first thought was the cylinders are like any other hydraulic cylinder and the rod ends are adjustable? I have had 18 1987 and up GT’s over the years this is also my first vert.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:22 AM
mattdel
6th Gear Member

my vert just had a similar problem, except it was my quarter glass that was misaligned. with the top down, look at the joints and everything inside the well. my problem was a missing joint bolt in the upper-most joint.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:37 PM
creekrat
3rd Gear Member

Also if your top is very old and brittle, the material has a tendancy to shrink up as it ages. My top is trashed and I am getting ready to replace it and in trying to figure out why my top doesn't close right this is the only solution I could come up with. Try parking it in the sun with the top up, but not latched. After an hour or so try it again and it it closes normally then it is the actual top messing up the alignment.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:33 PM
ak47dennis
1st Gear Member

Rats!! Now it developed another problem! (or more then likely related to my initial problem)

The top was down over the weekend, went to put it yesterday now it won’t close all the way!! It gets to about 3”- 4” off the windshield then stops, I removed the seats and side panels for a closer look. I can’t find any adjustments other then a down stop (which is bolt) I did top off the fluid in the reservoir but cant see anything wrong? I guess my next step is to try [/i]and remove the headliner unless you guys have any other suggestions.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:37 PM
ak47dennis
1st Gear Member

That was actually my first though, the top isnt trashed but it does seem very dry. I know the sun beat the heck out of it since the car spent its first 12 years in Texas.

My appointment isn’t till the end of May to get the new top installed.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:32 PM
92vert

Did you ever get a fix to your problem? I have a 92 Vert that the passenger side does not extend all the way. (there is a slight "V" in the last hinge closest to the windshield) I was hoping you found some adjustments.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:14 AM
lexy
3rd Gear Member

When i close/open my top when i shuts/opens its not even, but latches good. wonder why is that. like my left side touches teh winshield first

Quick Reply: top not closing even