Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top maintenace

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 10:31 AM
Kikandross
1st Gear Member

Default Top maintenace

What is the best way keeping my top in tip top shape?
Old 05-15-2007, 10:52 AM
StagHunter

Default RE: Top maintenace

Garage your car and never drive it. Leave the top up at all times. Failing that, keep it clean with Ragg Top cleaner and protectant. Don't fold it in temps under 50 degrees. Keep the car under a cover when not in use.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Kikandross
1st Gear Member

Thank you for the info, I appreciate this very much.
I can't keep it in the garage causeI don't have one, plus i love driving it. I always cover it.
Now for the rag top cleaner should i use a soft car wash brush or just the wash mit?
Why should'nt I fold down the top in temp under 50?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:22 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kikandross

Thank you for the info, I appreciate this very much.
I can't keep it in the garage causeI don't have one, plus i love driving it. I always cover it.
Now for the rag top cleaner should i use a soft car wash brush or just the wash mit?
Why should'nt I fold down the top in temp under 50?
1. Just the mitt is fine unless you have stains and then use a soft brush.
2. I use convertible top cleaner from Mothers or Meguiers (I forget which) and it works great. I'll post tomorrow which one it is.
3. When it's cold out the top contracts and is not as "soft" as it is when it is warm/hot so your chance of it tearing, especially when raising it, is greater.
It's really a judgement call. If it's cold out, but the car has been sitting in the sun, it's probably ok down to 45 degrees or so.
If the car has been sitting in the shade though I would not lower it at anything below 50 degrees.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:06 AM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

I use the Mother's cleaner and I think it works very well.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:29 PM
Mez
3rd Gear Member

I live in NC .. and my car came from canada .. so its seen cold and hot ...

My tips .. only wash it every 3-4 washes most of the time the top will stay pretty clean .. if there is a little bit of dirt .. just spray it down ... I just use a normal wash mit .. i tend to buy a new mit every month to keep it clean for the paint etc ... and I used turtle wax .. never had issues with their car soap

Iuse F21 protectant .. I use it every wash ... I apply with an old cloth diaper ... and i spray on the cloth and then wipe ... get a nice shiney coat and you're good .. I tend to wipe the top down 2-3 times a week with it to keep it looking fresh and to keep the dust etc off of it .. I honestly have people come up to tell me how good the top looks all the time .. i just say TAKE CARE OF IT haha .. but F21 is my favorite protectant .. its cheap and works great ..

btw .. never store your car w/ the top down always park it at night with it up ... and again .. just take care of it !
Old 05-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Chef
2nd Gear Member

i use armor all and always keep the top up when parked overnight, dont want mold
Old 05-28-2007, 11:00 AM
remoandiris

ORIGINAL: Mez

btw .. never store your car w/ the top down always park it at night with it up
Why? I understand putting the top up if the car isn't being moved for a few days or longer, but why overnight? It sits in a parking lot while I'm at work with the top up.What's the difference if it's in the garage for 8 hrs with the top down?

Looking for some education here. This is my first Vert and I don't want to shorten the life of the top. Nothing on this is mentioned in the owner's manual.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:02 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

If you leave the top down a LONG time it will tend to retain wrinkles. In a garage you don't need to clamp the top to the windshield, just raise it & leave it up. This is not a mandatory thing to do, just a recommendation
Old 05-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Mez
3rd Gear Member

Thanks man .. its def. not required .. but if you get in the habbit of leaving your top down over night ... it could develope pinch marks and retain wrinkles that may not come out .. I don't leave my top down for prolonged periods of time unless I'm a car show .. even then i move it up and down every day ..

Quick Reply: Top maintenace