Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STILL HAVING PROBLEMS!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 04:12 PM
90PONYBOI

Default STILL HAVING PROBLEMS!!!!

ok for you guys that have no clue what im talking about... i have been workin on trying to get my convert top motor to work...
ok i took the motor to the shop thinkin it was that from reading threads on here. got it out the shop, hooked it up,still got the clicking noise coming from
my relays in the trunk,ok some one said ckeck the fuses i did, a couple was blown i replaced mabe two at the most i think they were the wipers and the radio fuses not sure because i dont have the fuse cover to make sure but i know my radio fuse was blown .... still clicking, so i got out the test light checked to see if i had power at the switch by taking the switch a loose from the plug and testing the plug the grey wire had power
so i figure that was good. so i check the wires before both relays had my wife hit the switch the light lit up on one of the wires every time she hit the switch for both relays... i tested the red and yellow wire running to the pump coming from the relays no power at all... so do any of you think its the relays
i figured it could not be possible of the odds of both relays going out at the same time????its a relay for up and one for down its clicking both ways...
anymore ideas????? and if i decide to replace the relays where would i get them the dealer?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:24 AM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Default RE: STILL HAVING PROBLEMS!!!!

The dealer would be the best place to purchase new relays. I have not seen the problem you are having. Do you have shop manual?
Old 07-10-2007, 10:56 AM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

You know the problem could also be in the wiring itself.. if at some point the wire got pinched & it's insulation broke exposing the wire inside,, that wire can start to corrode & reduce the amount of current the wire is capable of carrying.

In a case like that there will probably be enough current for a test meter to say power is there, but a heavy load (like the top motor) might not get enough current to work properly
Old 07-11-2007, 10:11 AM
90PONYBOI

well i m sorry not to keep you guys updated but i founnd the problem!
i went to the dealer and found out that its got to have constant power at the relays
at all times.. mines was dead. i only had remote power from the switch...
so i found out the black and yellow wire is the constant,the purple is the remote from the switch..
i had to try and find the circuit breaker for the top motor the dealer said its not in the fuse box
they said its in betweem the solonoid and the relays in the trunk.. i traced the wire from the
relays to in the dash where i found the silver circuit breaker. and all the problem was is the guy that installed my
steering colum left the two breaker wires loose forgot to connect them.. so it was a learning task for me costt me a few
dollars but hell not as much as the shop would of hit me for to find that problem.........
Old 07-11-2007, 01:04 PM
TwotoneVert
5th Gear Member

Glad you found it and it was nothing serious. I am not that familiar with my top circuitry, and we have learned something. Thanks!