Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two 2005+ Convertible Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:38 AM
FenderParrothead
2nd Gear Member

Default Two 2005+ Convertible Questions

As you can see in my sig, I have an 07 vert and I just have a couple of quick questions to those of you who have something similar (my questions may be applicaible to pre-S197s as well; I just don't know).

1) When you lower your top, do you put the latch handles back into their locked position before completely lowering it, or do you leave them in the down, and unlocked position? The instruction manual is vague on whether you should or should not do this. I relatch (lock) mine because I figure that way there is less chance of them rubbing against the top as it is stowed, but I'm thinking of getting a one-touch mod from WebEletric (as soon as it's made available) which would obviously make me want to leave them unlatched.

2) Second, is the driver's side latch really tight on anyone else's? Is this something that I should expect to loosen up with time (my car is still quite new)? The passenger side I have no problems with, but the driver's side (which you are supposed to latch first) is a PITA.

Thanks guys, gals!
Old 07-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Default RE: Two 2005+ Convertible Questions

I leave my latches unlocked when I lower the top. On my '99 vert you needed the latches closed when the top was in the down position, but in the '05 it is not an issue.

When I put ithe top up, I bring it as far as it can go with the button then stop. I reach up and grab the center handle, give the button one more pulse, and while holding the top as close as possible, swing the latch, then close shut. You want it to be tight. If you have trouble with one side, close that one first.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:48 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

when my tops down i always relock the latches and secure the boot over the top,

one of the guide pins could be loose thus causing it harder to line up and sit a bit higher, try tightening the pin on the side thats tight
Old 07-20-2007, 01:29 AM
rhein
1st Gear Member

I always relatch the handles before putting the top all the way down - the handles can get caught on the headliner and strech it out. If they are tucked in, then they don't catch.

My passenger side latch is way harder than the driver side - since I also have a problem with the headliner getting caught on the back of the rear seats, I'm getting a new top in a couple weeks under warrenty - they are supposed to fix the hard latch at that time too.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:50 PM
mightymax

I put mine down figuring if they are stowed away locked then less of a chance to dig into something. My latches are about the same tightness on both sides.

Max Bryant
Old 07-25-2007, 12:20 PM
PayDay99
1st Gear Member

I relatch.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:27 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

I relatch and both sides seems smooth, no issues.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:21 PM
UK PONY
2nd Gear Member

I also relatch, forgot once or twice & never seen any issue with that but better safe than sorry.

Passenger side latch tighter than drivers side on mine.

+1 on the pull the handle & one last pulse method when latching her back up.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:59 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

I relatch as well. But can you elaborate on the one-touch mod? That would be incredibly useful. Is it available?
Old 01-03-2008, 09:56 AM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

I'm sure you guys know your supposed to latch the drivers side first. The pin holes are shaped different, its in the manual.

Quick Reply: Two 2005+ Convertible Questions