Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cold weather storage

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 08:45 PM
Veets44
1st Gear Member

Default Winter

I keep a tender on it in the garage and drive it every few weeks when the roads are clean of salt and snow. It has worked the last two winters, it was a daily driver up until then. The tender is really cheap and it does a good job.
This works for me, even though I see some other ideas on here.

Good Luck and like everyone else said, pray for Spring!
Old 11-29-2009, 10:55 PM
harryjames

Should the convertible top be lowered and raised from time to time during winter storage? There must be a hydralic pump that moves the top. Would some use during the winter help to keep the pump seals from drying out? Is there a temperature at which it is too cold to lower the top? The car interior would be warmed up first, so this shouldn't be a factor.

This is my first winter owning a convertible (2002 V-6) and its been nearly two months since the top has been lowered. It will probably be about 5 months from now before the car will be driven with the top down.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:08 AM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

just thought I wold bump this thread to the front again for all new owners and those storing their cars this year.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:02 PM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

should the top be lowered or raised during the winter, as was asked? I too am curious, as my 91 has a new top and I'd like to keep it good. I plan on leaving mine in the garage all winter, and trying to drive it once a week or every other week to keep it good all winter. Here in wichita ks we have bad winters sometimes, but we never go more then about a week with snow. Plenty of breaks, usually a couple weeks, between snow storms.....
Old 11-20-2011, 12:47 PM
harryjames

There was some helpful discussion in July and August of 2007 on this issue under the topic "Cold Weather Drop-Top." One or more people said they put their tops down in 40 degree temperatures, but cautioned that the car should sit in the sun to warm the top before lowering it. I think its the final few inches of movement in the lowering and raising (closing) that puts the most stress on the vinyal material. When lowering the pump really has to work hard to get the top crushed all the way down the way it sits in the summer. That can't be good for it. On closing the top, its the final stretch to lock the pins in place that also seems to be stressful. That would be the case if the car were driven with the top down and top cooled off again.

It sounds like you have enough warm days throughout the winter in Kansas that you should have no problem finding a warm, sunny day. When lowering, no need to force it all the way down.

I'm sure the vinyal (spelling?) top will be just fine if it is not lowered in the winter. Its the hydraulic pump that concerns me. But I really haven't seen a discussion where people are saying that their pump seals started leaking because their top wasn't lowered over the winter.

I certainly do plan to warm up my convertible on warmer days that I should see in northern Michigan between now and mid-April to early May. I'd warm the car with the heater and the sun, and lower and raise the top several times. I would not lower the top all the way, and would not drive the car with the top down. That would chill it too much. The final close should not be stressful since the top had been closed to begin with.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:50 PM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

Honestly, I am more concerned with the car staying in running shape sitting all winter, although I'd like to keep the top in goos shape. Any harm in it sitting in a garage with the top up all winter and locked in place?
Old 11-21-2011, 10:21 AM
harryjames

Ruskiegunlover, the storage basics that I follow are to store with a full tank of relatively fresh gasoline with stabilizer in the gas. Run the engine with the stabilized gas for a while to get that gas thru the carburator. Put the car on jackstands so as not to flat spot the tires. Disconnect the negative cable to the battery.

But there are benefits to running the car during the winter. If you have air conditioning, its good to run that a/c pump and keep the seals lubricated. From the mild type of winter you seem to have in Kansas, I'd try to run the car every month, at least. Idle it in the garage if you drop the insurance coverage over the winter. It will even keep the battery charged.

I run my car when its on jackstands, letting the rear wheels spin in the air a bit as well. Run the engine enough to get it up to normal temperature and the exhaust pipes and muffler hot to avoid condensation that would promote rust.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:06 PM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

My goal is driving it around my block once every couple of weeks, unless there is snow or salt. I have a garage, but its not huge, and I NEED a hydraulic jack something fierce......so I do not intend to jack it up at all.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:25 PM
onewheat

If the car isn't going to be driven until the engine is hot enough to burn off moisture in the oil, do NOT start the engine all winter. A short engine run or idling in the garage does nothing to help out the engine. An idling engine will NOT charge the battery at all - you need to raise the engine RPM's considerably to charge the battery and you will have to do that for a while just to overcome the energy used to start the car. Not letting the engine get hot enough for long enough to burn off any accumulated moisture in the oil just adds to any potential corrosion problems. When an engine is cold, you get the most amount of combustion blow-by with the rings which adds acidity to the oil - another problem with long term storage. The acidity contributes to gasket leaks down the road.

For a winter lay-up, add some fuel stabilizer and fill the fuel tank to prevent condensation in the tank. Wash the car and change the oil and filter. If you really feel the need to distribute oil around the engine over the course of the lay-up period - you can crank it over, but don't start it, but it is not necessary to do so. If you have a Battery Tender, use it. I highly recommend them. You don't need to operate the top and if you have a vinyl top or back window, I wouldn't recommend doing so, especially if it was cold. Cold vinyl doesn't like to bend and has a tendency to crack when cold. Cover the car, if you have one. In the spring time, check tire pressure and go drive it.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:45 AM
ruskiegunlover
2nd Gear Member

well, I do not think I'll do anything with the top during the winter, but I am going to drive it when there is no snow. I can drive it around my naighborhood or area for 25-30 minutes, really let it get warmed up, then put it up. Probably do this once every other week.

Quick Reply: cold weather storage