Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coldest temp with the top down?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 07:46 PM
Windex Monkey

Default Coldest temp with the top down?

It was 34 degreesFahrenheit yesterday morning here in Charlotte, NC. I rode into work with the top down. I figured why not. As long as I wasn't operating the top when it was that cold I would be fine.

The ride was a bit cold, but I had a jacket on and a hat with the heat cranking. I kept the windows down because I hate the way the ride is when the top is down and the windows are up.

When I had a Miata (manual top) several years ago I put the top down and drove in a heavy snowstorm. It was really cool to have the large flakes of snow traveling over your head.

So how cold will you go with the top down? Am I doing any damage to the top or the mechanism?
Old 11-03-2007, 05:08 PM
dangstang92
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Coldest temp with the top down?

Ha, I drove my old Miata with the top down when snow was on the ground and about 30, but never while it was snowing. The plastic rear window didn't like that too much!

With my old 89 Mustang GT I had the top down at 40. With my "new" 92 the coldest so far has been about 50. The key is to not drive on the interstate and keep the heat cranked!!
Old 11-04-2007, 09:17 PM
nyfreakinrican7
2nd Gear Member

Last winter I drove at about 38 degrees.
Old 11-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Larmo
4th Gear Member

I'm in Charlotte as well, and ride to work int he morning regularly with the top down. Wakes you up!!!

My goal is to get some heated seats installed int he next few weeks so I can continue this trend. Have you considered heated seats? Where in Charlotte do you live?
Old 11-05-2007, 07:19 PM
Windex Monkey

The cold temp sure does wake you up. It also seems to wake other drivers up since they keep looking at me. I haven't thought about getting heated seats. That makes alot of sense for me. I hate when the top is up. It's like a cave inside. I need to get some thin gloves to at least protect my hands from getting too cold.

I live in Harrisburg and my commute is only about 20 minutes. By the afternoon the high is in the 60's so it's perfect weather for having the top down.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Razorbackfan
2nd Gear Member

I bought my very in March so it hasn't been cold yet. I've only put the top it when it rained. I can't wait for it to get colder! I think it would be great to drive with the top down when it's snowing. Gotta try that later this winter!
Old 11-06-2007, 02:05 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

ORIGINAL: Larmo

I'm in Charlotte as well, and ride to work int he morning regularly with the top down. Wakes you up!!!

My goal is to get some heated seats installed int he next few weeks so I can continue this trend. Have you considered heated seats? Where in Charlotte do you live?
I have also considered getting seat warmers installed for this purpose.

The coldest I have done it is at about 34 degrees in January, when 34 doesn't seem as cold as it does as of tonight. [:@]
Old 11-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Kmoran81
2nd Gear Member

I live in Rochester NY and when its late fall when the leaves are turning its great to get together with a couple friends with hoodies and the heat on and drive around the finger lakes to look at the trees nd smoke bowls . Also, its great in the winter when yits not snowing I take her out once in awhile and its probly around 30-35 degrees
Old 11-06-2007, 10:37 AM
chrisdbassplayer
2nd Gear Member

for me its gotta be 55 degrees or better and only that low if the sun is out. The wife and me went for a scenic fall leaf ride up to Hannibal Mo, down the scenic river road,about a week ago and even theupper 50's was slightly cold. We even had the heat on full blast which helped as long as you werent goin 55 or better. Im just not into the cold that much, I prefer a day of extreme heat over extreme cold anyday. And believe me in the St Louis Mo. area you get both in big amounts...
Old 11-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Vegasfilter
3rd Gear Member

wow...thats fuggin cold...cold for me is 50 degrees....thats our cold!

Quick Reply: Coldest temp with the top down?