Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cloth Top Care

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 AM
LongWay

Default Cloth Top Care

My 2012 GT Premium is on order, Due in June (I hope). Spending big bucks with my local Ford dealer.. I asked my sales guy about the quality and care of the cloth top.. his answer, "I don't know, google it"... Come on Ford, really?

So, Anyone have tips on how to care for the top, cleaning, watch out for this... etc.

Thanks
Old 05-05-2011, 11:36 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

I use Raggtopp top cleaner on my cloth top.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:40 PM
prototypepariah

I use aerospace protectant...seems to keep the top from fading, no stains(even with bird droppings) and can be used on dash/trim as well.

www.303products.com/

I'd look into some sort of curing phase before you should put anything on the top though, since it's brand new.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:30 PM
GrumpysGT
1st Gear Member

I use Ragg Topp cleaner and protectant. Its a two part application. First part is the cleaner in a spray bottle. Wet the top, spray the cleaner on and use a brush to work it in and clean it. Rinse real well, let dry completly. Second part is the protectant in the arasoal can. You sptay it on holding te can around10-12 inches away from top, kind of "misting" it on. Its a parrafin based protectant, and when your done water will bead up and roll off. I clean and re-treat my 2007 cloth top about every 6 months and my top still looks like new. Lots of detail web sites carry it, but cheapest I've seen is amazon.com. Around 32-34 dollars with free shipping. A kit will treat your top 2-3 times. They make both a cloth and a vinal kit so get the right one. Stuff really works.
GrumpysGT
Old 05-07-2011, 02:55 AM
FloRida Livin
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the info! Been searching for a recommendation myself.
I will be sure to check it out. The FL sun gives the cars hell down here.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:57 AM
FloRida Livin
Former Sponsor

guess I should have read a little closer- I have a vinyl top! Any suggestions there??

Last edited by FloRida Livin; 05-12-2011 at 02:43 AM. Reason: stupid question!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 PM
LongWay

Originally Posted by GrumpysGT
I use Ragg Topp cleaner and protectant. Its a two part application. First part is the cleaner in a spray bottle. Wet the top, spray the cleaner on and use a brush to work it in and clean it. Rinse real well, let dry completly. Second part is the protectant in the arasoal can. You sptay it on holding te can around10-12 inches away from top, kind of "misting" it on. Its a parrafin based protectant, and when your done water will bead up and roll off. I clean and re-treat my 2007 cloth top about every 6 months and my top still looks like new. Lots of detail web sites carry it, but cheapest I've seen is amazon.com. Around 32-34 dollars with free shipping. A kit will treat your top 2-3 times. They make both a cloth and a vinal kit so get the right one. Stuff really works.
GrumpysGT
Thanks Grumpy... that was exactly what I was hoping to hear. Much appreciated... I can't believe the dealer didn't have a clue. I definetely check out this stuff... June can't get here quick enough. ~Longway.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:15 AM
MustangRSG
1st Gear Member

I used RaggTopp on my cloth top, and now the cotton wood fuzz (tree sperm) sticks to it like crazy. I getting tired and shop vac'ing and lint brushing the top every day. Any advice?
Old 06-10-2011, 08:00 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Did you do both stages of the RaggTopp?
Old 06-10-2011, 04:37 PM
GrumpysGT
1st Gear Member

You can use a lint roller to remove it, but I've found that reverse wrapping a piece of duct tape around my hand and "rolling" it across the top will remove just about anything. Also works great to remove that last bit of lint from your carpet before a show.
GrumpysGT

Quick Reply: Cloth Top Care