Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Convertible Top Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:31 PM
firedawgy

Default New Convertible Top Recommendations

My 94GT is in dire need of a new top, have a couple routes I can go. Have guy #1 that can do the original vinyl top with heated glass for $1000 installed. Have guy #2 that will install whatever I bring to him for $350. So looking for recommendations on types of convertible tops, don't want to go el cheapo ebay plastic window. So anyone have any suggestions, vinyl, fabric, any brand names to use or stay away from? BTW, I live in South Carolina, hot down here, car is not kept in garage. Thanks all.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:01 PM
numnutz

Originally Posted by firedawgy
My 94GT is in dire need of a new top, have a couple routes I can go. Have guy #1 that can do the original vinyl top with heated glass for $1000 installed. Have guy #2 that will install whatever I bring to him for $350. So looking for recommendations on types of convertible tops, don't want to go el cheapo ebay plastic window. So anyone have any suggestions, vinyl, fabric, any brand names to use or stay away from? BTW, I live in South Carolina, hot down here, car is not kept in garage. Thanks all.
Don't know where you are, but if in MB area, Carolina Custom Upholsery north of Calabash put a new vinyl with glass, non heated window for $1200 cash on my 03. Did a great job; top looks fantastic. Luck.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:49 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

My opinion is go with one that provides the top and installs it. Much easier dealing with one person/business if there are issues after the top is on. I get tired of an installer blaming the supplier and the supplier blaming the installer over minor issues after a job is done. Of course, one hopes for perfection on from both sides but......reality sets in some times.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:32 AM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

I agree with AzPete to take it to the shop who will furnish and install for 1 price for two reasons:

First this installer orders high quality tops all the time. His shop's reputation depends on it. There are several good conv. top manufacturers here in the US, and he orders from their distributors who take good care of him if there is a problem.

Second, the shop that furnishes and installs will give you a warranty with your top that you won't get when you order a top yourself and take it to an installer.

By the way, both prices seem low. Be careful. If a shop/installer charges low prices for too long, they start taking shortcuts that are not good for the owner to deal with later.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:19 PM
dog_party

Looking at robbinsautotopco.com/ford.php for proactive convertible replacement. Don't need to replace our top yet, but I've learned through error to not wait 'til the last moment. Will update post if I learn more.