Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Convertible Top Operation Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 08:04 PM
rooneyeb

Default 07 Convertible Top Operation Issue

Hello all,
Recently the convertible top on my '07 V6 has started working intermittently. The top switch will activate the windows to lower, but sometimes the top motor does not kick in to raise/lower it. The time before last I tried it, I had the top down but could not raise it. While playing with it I was also able to get the rear windows to go out of sync (only one up or down) either using the top button and/or the regular rear window lowering switch. Eventually, while pressing buttons while starting the car, I was able to finally get the top up. Today, I tried to lower the top, and the top motor would not activate- again the window control works.

When the top does work, the motor seems to work fine- it almost appears to be a sensor or sync issue.

I have not run the car much pending a (separate) clutch issue.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to begin troubleshooting?

Apologies if there is a thread re: this that I missed. Thanks!
Old 06-03-2017, 01:22 AM
SteveDwsn
1st Gear Member

I realize this is almost two years old, but did you ever find the issue. Mine is doing the intermittent thing right now as well.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:03 AM
rooneyeb

Hi, I think the issue was with one of the motor relays in the fuse block. I do not remember details but think I was not getting full voltage at the motor. I started to test things but think in the process I messed up one of the contacts in the box.

Instead of fooling around anymore and avoiding possible costly fuse block repair, I bypassed it by buying a reverse polarity DC motor switch along with an inline 40A fuse. I put the switch under the dash and wired it to the motor. So now the regular switch still drops the windows, but I use the other switch for the top. It has worked 100% since install.

I would check those relays first but don't mess up the fuse block like I did! Good luck.
Old 06-05-2017, 11:25 AM
SteveDwsn
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input. In dealing with this so far, I was getting the feeling the problem is corroded contacts. I have serviced the pump, replaced both relays, and bought a switch / overhead console on eBay. I replaced the switch, but still had the problem.

This weekend, I unplugged everything (including the SJB) sprayed all the connectors with contact cleaner and replaced the overhead console wiring harness with the new one. It worked fine Saturday, but time will tell.

You have confirmed my final solution if this keeps happening -- bypass the SJB and wire the top old school with a couple of aftermarket relays. I will use the factory switch and won't have the windows drop automatically, but I would rather not have to worry if I can get the top up.

Thanks.
Steve
Old 07-08-2019, 09:47 AM
mhagin

Default *** BEFORE YOU TEAR THINGS APART ***

Check the convertible top well for any objects in it. There is a top down confirmation switch that isn't being allowed to work because of that. Intermittent operation results from that object shifting around back there.

In my case it was a black leather glove that got blown back in there from the slipstream. It was very hard to see. Check the framewells as well.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:05 AM
rooneyeb

mhagin - thanks, this is good info. I still think that mine was a failing relay (or maybe it was that sensor), as I would just need to sit there and keep pressing the button for a few seconds to a half hour before it would just work. This is definitely a good first place to check. ~4 years in and the bypass switch I put in is still working well, and I am still daily driving it with 217k!