Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertable top not working after replacing hydralic and motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 01:11 PM
dkcable8

Default Convertable top not working after replacing hydralic and motor

A few months ago I replaced both the hydraulics on my convertible top as I had a leaking cylinder. After that I was having problems opening and someone suggested I bleed the lines better and that seemed to help a bit. Did not use during the winter. Tried to use again a few weeks ago and could hear the motor but nothing worked. At that time I decided to replace the motor. Once replaced I bled the lines by running top at least 10 times with the plug out and added fluid. Seemed to be working ok so put car back together. Now I am back to same old problem. When I open I have to help push up a bit until it catches. To close the roof I need someone to help me pull up until it catches. Don't notice any leaking in lines. Does anyone have any suggestions I what else it could be. Getting frustrated and with the weather getting nice would like to have it working correctly.

Thanks.
Old 04-26-2017, 08:01 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

Sounds like not enough hydraulic fluid to me.

When you say that you replaced the hydraulics, do you mean that you replaced the hoses? Cylinders? If you replaced cylinders, did you install new ones or from a salvage yard?

You've got a leak somewhere.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:22 PM
dkcable8

I replaced the hydraulic cylinders. After that didn't seem to solve the problem I replaced the motor. I looked at the hydraulic lines today and did find some congealed fluid on one. I cleaned up and ran the motor but which still did not raise the roof, but I could not find a leak. I am guessing the next move is to replace the hydraulic lines and then the who system would have been replaced and hope that solves the problem. Note I also pulled the plug on the motor and it is full of fluid.

Do you think replacing the lines will solve this problem. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:00 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

You cant bleed the cylinders from the fill hole on the motor,, it needs to be done at the upper cylinder line connection. I suspect you still have air in the cylinders.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:43 PM
dkcable8

Ok I tried bleeding from the upper part of both cylinder's several times. Added fluid to the motor a couple of times and still not working any better. Could it by the hose's although I do not see a leak?
Old 05-02-2017, 05:29 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

It has to have air in it someplace, or your leaking.

The bleeding procedure calls for the top to be lowered, remove the fill plug, top it off.

Then with an assistant loosen the upper line connections and have your assistant help pull it up while you actuate the top. This is supposed to be repeated untill a steady flow of fluid comes out of the fittings at the top of the cylinders. Keeping an eye on the level of the pump. Filling as needed.

If that doesnt fix it then you have a leak someplace, or as mentioned above, if you bought used cylinders they are bad.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:48 AM
Shaun McDowell

Default Having the same issue.

My top was working fine, but there was a leak that required me to top off the fluid until I could replace the lifters. After replacing the lifters it was working fine and then it stoped raising without help. Ireplased the motor and bleed the system, as described in this thread but it still won't lift from all the way down and hesitates and needs a push when lowering and it allowed to stop during operation it sticks. I'm at my wits end with it now. It moves easy enough when disconnected from the lifters so it doesn't seem to be a problem with the mechanism. I did notice, while bleeding the fluid coming out of one lifter seemed frothy/aerated. The lifters are brand new. there is no leak in the lines or at the connections.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:21 PM
dkcable8

Default Convertable top not working correctly.

OK I am back and still have this issue I started back several months ago. Issue was never resolved but here is the background.

Starting having roof issues and noticed leaking cylinder so replaced both. Still had issues and thought the cylinders were bad so returned and replaced both again.

Bled lines still not working correctly. Basically need to help the roof either up or down until it catches. Then decided I should replace motor and did that. Bled the lines again and still same issue. Was ready to replace the hydraulic lines but when I went to buy them a tech at the store said if they were leaking you would know it must be air in the line.

I also followed the advice on this thread and bled again by loosing the top connections on both cylinders. Still not working.

Today I went to a guy in town who works on convertibles and he bled the line and still now working. Even he was perplexed and said never seen this in 30 years.

So what could be wrong. Must have bled the thing 5 different times. Replaced both cylinders and motor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:35 PM
scan1959
1st Gear Member

It's an enigma.

I don't think that the bleeding is actually an important issue.

You have a pump that sends fluid to the cylinder.

The cylinder extends or contracts.

Top goes up or down/

scan
Old 09-18-2017, 10:04 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

Just a guess, but were the lines put back correctly. I can't remember, but I believe the lines from the back of the pump feed the top of the cylinders and the lines from the front of the pump feed the bottom of the cylinders, or something like that. It is specific as to where the lines connect to the cylinders. Search on line for a routing diagram of the hydrolic lines to the cylinders. Good luck.