Convertible Tech This section is only for questions or information relating to a convertible. Questions about drivetrain modifications should still be posted in the engine specific sections.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Up or Top Down Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 10:56 AM
wingryder

Default Top Up or Top Down Need advice

2006 Mustang Screaming Yellow and new to me.

I need to know if leaving the top down is harder on it than constant up and down travel??

Ok this car is extra... driven two times one week, none the next, three the next. You get the idea... Always garaged and covered. When being driven the top is down unless we get caught somewhere in weather or at a hotel for the night.

I used to have a Miata and the top was down all summer and only put up when car was in winter storage. Did not seem to hurt the top.

So... should I leave it down and garaged or up and down even for a hour run around town.???
Old 05-06-2017, 08:02 PM
Special20
1st Gear Member

A convertible top is a wear item. Use it as you see fit and realize that at some point it will have to be replaced. Most say that leaving the top down for too long a time will leave creases.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:40 PM
mikem8560

ive always parked them up mostly as said creases plus around here, florida in the summer every afternoon your going to get wet.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:59 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

I leave it up in the garage to reduce the chance of bugs/dust/etc getting in.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:19 PM
wingryder

I appreciate the comments. I know all the reasons to have it up. Still not sure if they out weigh the wear on the hardware. I think I will close it after each drive. My thinking is .. I might be able to replace hardware as it wears.. but doing a top replacement is going to be pretty tough job. So lets wear out the hardware and keep that soft top lasting long. Now if they made a remote to control the switch.. then wife and I could "help" it fold in nice and tight as it opens. And while I am complaining.. why doesn't the front piece fold flat instead of sticking up to catch the wind? Ok feel better now.

Thanks
Old 06-10-2017, 11:44 AM
8992tiger

I have had a convert for 24 years; I put it up if I am parking outside in daylight to avoid interior fade. Otherwise, I park it in my garage in whatever position it was when I was driving in order to minimize wear on the moving parts. I have not had any excessive wrinkles that don't come out within a few minutes of the top being up.
Old 06-10-2017, 07:06 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

I dont know about the mustang converts to much ,, never owned one, but our saab made 200k miles before we traded it in. That top was probly operated as many times as there were miles on it. It still looked good and always worked perfect.

Take care of the material by cleaning it and treating it with some UV waterproofer and it will last just about the life of the car. Use it as needed and dont worry about the wear. Thats my 2 cents.

2000 Saab 188k miles at the time of this picture. It outlived the paint the car was green at one time clear coat came off so I painted it a red color.
Name:  8RZ7arN.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  3.14 MB
Old 06-11-2017, 07:22 PM
wingryder

thanks 8992tiger and dawson1112 for your input. Good information on your care and life of convertible tops.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:27 AM
myk
2nd Gear Member

I've owned my '97 Z28 convertible for 19 years and the top goes up and down any time I drive it, and the mechanism is as good as new. If anything will wear out on your top it will be the top itself. Just clean and treat it like the others have mentioned and maybe change out the fluid in the pump/motors (if your car has them) for the top when that interval comes up...