Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Paint fade help please

Old 04-21-2006, 11:11 PM
JayBanion
3rd Gear Member

Default Paint fade help please

I just bought a 98' GT and it was a salesmans car so its been threw the car was way to many times. The paint on the hood and top of the front fenders is a little fades and has alot of swirls in it. Is there anyway to help that a little and make it look a little better or am I just screwed and I have to get them repainted.

Jay
Old 04-22-2006, 12:28 AM
kontroldkhaos
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Paint fade help please

i have the same problem with my probe ...let me guess the car is red? your screwed i tried everything to restore the shine ,just get it repainted,i'll never own a red car again
Old 04-22-2006, 06:30 AM
HotWheels

Well I am new here but I think you can get some of the shine back. My mustang is red and it is hard to care for that colour. I have sucess with the Meguiar's Professional Series. Comes in a cream coloured bottles. I use #9 swirl remover, the I use the glaze followed by #26 hi tech yellow wax. The only other step I have done to my car used the clay bar on it with the quickie detail spray. There are a couple of good sites for detailing tips and trick such as Autopia.org and Meguiars. Just my opinion. Can't hurt to check it out. It is much cheaper than a new paint job. Oh don't forget the micro fiber cloths
Old 04-23-2006, 01:02 PM
LesteR723
5th Gear Member

i'm not sure how it works but apparently Meguires color RX "restores" your color. You can give it a shot! But dont come to me if it dosent work, iv never used it
Old 04-24-2006, 01:51 PM
shayne
2nd Gear Member

Most of the time you can bring paint back. You may not be able to do it by hand though. If you are going to try it by hand try the Color X by Meguiars or a rubbing compound. My wife has a red ZX2 and I have been working on the paint on that car. It wasn't faded, but had damage from contamenants (acid rain, bugs,tree sap, etc.) that had been left on the paint too long (without a good coat of wax also). I couldn't get it by hand, but I did get the paint back in shape with a Porter-Cable 7424 DA polisher and Meguiars Mirror Glaze series (tan bottle).
You may want to take it to a pro detailer or paint shop and get an idea of what it would cost for them to bring it back by compounding and buffing. Check out autogeek.net and autopia.org how to's.
Good luck. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
S W
Old 02-13-2007, 07:18 PM
irongoat56
1st Gear Member

JayBanion
Date 4/21/2006 9:11:26 PM

I just bought a 98' GT and it was a salesmans car so its been threw the car was way to many times.

ICAR WASH my car once a week..some times 3 timesin a2 week period . especialy during the summer......is that a bad thing ?
Old 02-13-2007, 07:30 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: irongoat56

JayBanion
Date 4/21/2006 9:11:26 PM

I just bought a 98' GT and it was a salesmans car so its been threw the car was way to many times.

ICAR WASH my car once a week..some times 3 timesin a2 week period . especialy during the summer......is that a bad thing ?

washing by hand is not bad for a car but if you take it through a car was the rags that they have in them and rub the paint alot and possibl damage it and the rags or what ever they are are possibly dirty
Old 02-13-2007, 08:47 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

The paint is probably just oxidized and come be fixed. If you don't have one I would highly recommend getting an orbital polisher. You can get results by hand but there is a limit. With a polisher you can take your paint to a whole new level. You can use a chemical polish if you want to clean the paint and remove oxidization. If you want to correct swirls and scratches you will need an abrassive polish. Here is the steps I would do.
Wash
Claybar
Polish/Swirl Removal
Protect with a sealant or wax or both (personal preference)
Old 02-14-2007, 11:39 PM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

Amen to the PC 7424! I received one for Christmas and it did a great job removing the oxidation from my red 93 LX. I've had good luck with the Meguiar's line of products, but personally I'm looking to branch out to try some other products out on the market.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

I got just the products for you to try out man! I guarantee you won't be dissapointed.

Are you just looking for some new polishes for the Porter Cable or everything?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint fade help please