Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

decklid

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 10:17 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Default decklid

i removed my rear spoiler then clayed and 3 stepped my decklid...well when i took it off there were dirt rings from where the spoiler met the deck lid...i wiped my finger across them a couple of times and decided not to do it anymore because if i was dirt i didnt want to scratch the paint and because i thought it may have been grease that was keeping the spoiler from scratching the paint...well now its dryed clayed and 3 stepped and the rings are still there...acutally i didnt clay over the rings or 3 step them because i did not want to leave scratches...so how do i get the rings out without leaving scratches? also, to fill in the holes that the screws left in the decklid, what can i use? i was gunna use rivets but i dont want to leave little circular scratch patterns...thanks!
Old 02-13-2007, 10:39 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: decklid

Bill

I would wash the area and claybar it first. Then use a mild polish to remove the rings. If that doesn't work step up to a more abrassive polish. Can you feel the rings with your fingernail? If they aren't into the paint they should come out.

To fill in those holes I recommend taking it to a body shop and have them do the work.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:02 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Juztang

Bill

I would wash the area and claybar it first. Then use a mild polish to remove the rings. If that doesn't work step up to a more abrassive polish. Can you feel the rings with your fingernail? If they aren't into the paint they should come out.

To fill in those holes I recommend taking it to a body shop and have them do the work.
i see what you're sayin but the thing im worried about is (of course i do all my detailing work AFTER a THOROUGH wash) but like, while claying the dirt will move around when sticking to the bar a little bit, no? thus creating scratches, know what i mean? im worried about that....the spoiler is only going to be off for like 1 month or so untill i get tired of it, thats why im not going to have it filled...a few minutes ago i noticed a white like (like primer) on one of the dirt rings [] can it be?! ill get some pics up if you need

P.S. after i finish getting my stupid paypal accnt set up im buying some of your waffle weaves and maybe some glazzzzeee
Old 02-14-2007, 12:09 AM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

So you are saying the dirt is hard and won't come off after you wash it? I think I know what you are talking about. You might try some WD40 to loosen it up a bit and see if that works. If not, like you said the spoiler will be back on to cover it up.

You actually don't need a paypal account to order from my website. It also takes credit and debit cards.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:12 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Juztang

So you are saying the dirt is hard and won't come off after you wash it? I think I know what you are talking about. You might try some WD40 to loosen it up a bit and see if that works. If not, like you said the spoiler will be back on to cover it up.

You actually don't need a paypal account to order from my website. It also takes credit and debit cards.
i feel safer with PP, im making an accnt to use on everything

when it was "wet" right after the spoiler was just removed, minutes after...i swiped my finger across it and theres a clean spot now where my finger was before...it was really thick thats why i thought it was protective grease or something....how should i use the wd? just spray a little on there, let it sit for a couple of minutes and wipe off? if that doesnt work, what else can i use? thanks
Old 02-14-2007, 12:17 AM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

I think the WD will do the trick. Just let it sit for a few seconds and then wipe off with a microfiber. Then just go over it with a polish or cleaner wax. I've taken spoilers off of carsthat I detailed before car shows and know what you are talking about.I really just think it is probably a buildup of dirt and grime right there from what I've came across. Iusually just wash the area and then if needed use something to break up the residue.