Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Help cleaning chrome rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 05:03 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Default Help cleaning chrome rims

My rims are chrome, and they are in a bad way. I live near the ocean, and on top of salt spray, and all the construction that is around me, combined with brake dust, my wheels look like hell. I was wondering if anyone knew of a good cleaner, that would get the rims back to being smooth and not having the rust look in the creases. It comes off, but is very difficult. Just wondering if there is some kind of product that will help me out. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:54 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Help cleaning chrome rims

Use very fine steel wool to remove all the crud thats on them, thenuse a good chrome polish.
Old 02-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Jim D.
3rd Gear Member

I'd try a spray-on, hose-off cleaner formulated for Chrome... Mothers makes one that works pretty good called Wheel Mist Chrome/Wire. Once clean, I'd use a PowerBall and their Chrome Polish to polish and protect them. Wash them often with car suds in between heavy-duty cleanings.

Oh, and avoid spraying any wheel cleaner on your brakes if they have a sensitive finish or plating.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:12 PM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

Not to imply you are an idiot, but are you certain they are chrome and not polished aluminum? Chrome is usually VERY easy to clean with Chrome Polish. Polished aluminum looks very much like chrome but can a MAJOR pain in the *** to clean when it has not been kept up with (oxidation, rust, etc....).

If they are polished aluminum, then you will need Mothers Aluminum Polish, several terry cloths and A LOT of patience for those wheels

If they really are chrome then I guess Turtle Wax Chrome Polish, and also several terry cloths and the same amount of patiece.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:45 PM
ZAXJAX
3rd Gear Member

What they all said! After, you finally get the clean, Poorboy;s makes a wheel sealnt that will help protect them. It makes clean up later very easy.
Old 02-19-2007, 05:49 AM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

Haha, yeah, I'm sure they are chrome. My old rims were polished aluminum with a clear coat on them so they were a hell of a lot easier to keep clean. I bought a good polish to use, I think it is either Mother's or Meguiars, but I was just wondering if there was anything else I could/should do before using the polish to ensure the best results. I tried a spray on and hose off cleaner, but that did nothing, so I hope that this next plan works.
Thanks for the help.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:44 PM
tommy2273boy
5th Gear Member

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/aut...innacle/flash/

top one talks about wheel care.

not sure on the polish though, I just orderd the Poorboys wheel sealent aswell.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:45 AM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Well I`ll tell ya. They have this stuff at the supermarket in the household cleaner section. Its called Kaboom ( for real). Its in a spray bottle, & its purple in color. Its used for many things, such as removing lime deposits from bathroom fixtures. You should see the job this stuff does on chrome !( most bathroom/kitchen fixtures are chrome plated). I use it on all my chrome, 7 it does a great job of cleaning chrome, copper, stainless steel etc. & its cheap. Just follow the directions on the bottle, & wear latex gloves.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:54 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I have used that as well and I would not recommend using steel wool an anything polished on the car. It will scratch the chrome! But hey JMO go with what you think will work. J
ORIGINAL: kenv

Well I`ll tell ya. They have this stuff at the supermarket in the household cleaner section. Its called Kaboom ( for real). Its in a spray bottle, & its purple in color. Its used for many things, such as removing lime deposits from bathroom fixtures. You should see the job this stuff does on chrome !( most bathroom/kitchen fixtures are chrome plated). I use it on all my chrome, 7 it does a great job of cleaning chrome, copper, stainless steel etc. & its cheap. Just follow the directions on the bottle, & wear latex gloves.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:00 AM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

So, I have a really fine steel wool, should I use that first, and then apply the polish, or do you think I should just try the polish first and see if that works? I just really don't want to F the rims up, haha.

Quick Reply: Help cleaning chrome rims