Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Removing stickers

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:07 AM
Jeremiah
1st Gear Member

Default Removing stickers

What's the best way to remove dealership stickers from an old '89 without taking paint off or leaving gunk behind?
Old 08-28-2007, 03:41 AM
ktm300
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Removing stickers

heat gun and a little patience, or an eraser wheel and an air compressor. If you dont want to go either route try adhesive remover and a terry cloth
Old 08-28-2007, 10:08 AM
DJPcustoms
2nd Gear Member

I've always used a hair dryer and some goo-gone on the residue thats left over, followed by some clay and wax. If the car is newer it should come right off, but if its older may take some more time but will still work.

Old 08-28-2007, 06:03 PM
Jeremiah
1st Gear Member

Ya, the car is from '89 and hasn't been driven since 2004 and still has the original coat of paint.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:07 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DJPcustoms

I've always used a hair dryer and some goo-gone on the residue thats left over, followed by some clay and wax. If the car is newer it should come right off, but if its older may take some more time but will still work.

This method will work great and is pretty much what I do.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:40 PM
WhitePony02
3rd Gear Member

At my work we just use adhesive remover, which I'm pretty sure is just goof off and pick it off with our finger nails. Then when its all off we spray it with some more adhesive and wait a few seconds for it to work, then wipe the excess gunk off with a towel. If it doesn't work do it again, it eventually comes off. I like to wash that area afterwards, never know what it'll do to the paint when its on there.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:45 AM
Jeremiah
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Juztang

So how exactly does this method work? You use the hairdryer on the sticker and peel it off, I assume?
Old 08-29-2007, 08:55 PM
DJPcustoms
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jeremiah

ORIGINAL: Juztang

So how exactly does this method work? You use the hairdryer on the sticker and peel it off, I assume?
Yup, start at one end and get it nice and hot so the glue softens, and then peel using your fingernail. It will get HOT hehe, so watch your fingers. Comes right off without needing a heat gun if you dont have one, and most have a hairdryer in the household. I keep the old ones for this purpose and for helping paint to dry when spray painting.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:59 PM
jakeachy
3rd Gear Member

laquer thinner will work
Old 08-29-2007, 09:36 PM
brando5.0
1st Gear Member

Heat gun or hair dryer with a plastic razor blade. Don't get it too hot, or all you do is make a sticky mess. If you don't have a plastic razor blade, a finger or even a small windshield scraper will work. Afterwards, laquer thinner works great (since you have factory paint, it will be just fine) or goof off will clean it up nicely. I'd be a little concerned about the paint fading out though since its been on there so long. You could try a clay bar, or a light touch up with a buffer may be in order.

Quick Reply: Removing stickers