Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

What do you all use?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2008, 01:38 AM
WhitePony02
3rd Gear Member

Default What do you all use?

Like the title says, what do you all use to detail? I'd like to see the types of products you all use, if you want you can say why you like them too.

Exterior

Car Wash:
Sponge/Mit:
Rims:
Drying Towel:
Swirl marks:
Buffer:
Polish:
Wax:
Sealant:
Tires:

Interior

Stain Remover:
Glass Cleaner:
Cleaning:
Protectant:
Brushes:

For rims, say what you do for them, like the product you use to clean the brake dust off and if you use a brush or what on it.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:17 AM
Cooter
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What do you all use?

Well, I use several different brands from ObsessiveDetail, Menzerna, Surf City Garage, Poorboys, Clearkote, Pinnacle, Mothers, TurtleWax Platinum, Meguiars, NoTouch, Jeffs Werkstatt, and Optimum.

Obsessive Detail- this is a great line up. Should have everything you need to clean every part of your car. All the products perform as advertised. All the products are great and all compliment each other nicely. The Silk Shine is my favorite. Great Smell, great look. Leaves a nice finished product.

Menzerna- German company known for their polishes- SIP, IP, 106FF, PO85RD. Their glaze will fill some DEEP scratches. The word coming down the pipe I hear isnt good. The polishes are causing the paint to swell therefore making the swirls dissappear. This line is really expensive. About all those products cost $40-50 for 32oz for each. Watch out for Optimum

Surf City Garage- Fairly new company with some nice products. Their glass cleaner is really popular. As equal or better than Invisible Glass which is really saying something. Their wheel cleaner and tire gel are great products too. I've got a few of their products on the way. Should be here wednesday.

Poorboys- EX-P sealant is some great stuff. Really popular on internet forums. EX with Carnauba is a real sleeper product. PBs products are good. You can never go wrong with Nattys Blue on a dark colored car. Natural Look leaves a nice matte finish. The quick detailer and waterless wash are some nice products. Spray N Gloss leaves a nice glossy finish. Their mega-plush towels are one of my other favorite towels. Nice and plush.

Clearkote-QuikShine is a nice quick detailer. Red Moose Glaze is my glaze of choice. Vanilla Moose is good for spider webs. Carnauba Moose Wax is a great liq wax. It has a really good finished look to it.

Pinnacle- Souveran. One of the best paste waxes you'll ever own. Awesome wax. Looks great on red and black. Pinnacle leather conditioner leaves a nice leather smell inside your car for a couple days. Liquid Souveran is nice.

Mothers- Back to Black is a really nice trim dressing. Really works nice on faded trim. The powerball with their aluminum polish works really good together. They're a pain n the butt sometimes though. The reflections line has some good products in it. If you have any Mothers cali gold paste wax, apply that stuff really thin. Its like someone poured cement on your car if you dont.

TurtleWax Platinum- I think its one of the most underated lines. The tire spray is my favorite product. The quick detailer is good. The soap is really nice. Has really nice suds and lubrication. The leather cleaner/conditioner is good. The interior protectant isnt that good. It leaves a greasy finish. The liq and paste wax work really good-watch out for trim with these.

Meguiars Mirror Glaze pro. line has several good products in it. #26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax is probably one of the best OTC liq carnauba waxes you can get -IMO-.

No-Touch - A great tire foam.

Jeff Werkstatt- Nice products. They work kinda like quick detailers. They're really known for making silver look awesome.

Optimum- ONR, Optimum Polish, Poli-Seal, Compound, Hyper-Compound, Optimum Car wax,ONR, Optimum ProtecantPlus, and Opti-Seal. If you get anything from Optimum, get some ONR and Opti-Seal. Two great products. Opti-Seal is probably the finest sealant you'll ever use and gives a really great look. Almost carnauba like. Plus its really durable and you can layer it (every 24 hrs). Protectant Plus is really good for interiors, tires, trim and anything plastic. Its nice to use since they changed the smell. The old version stunk. The polish is nice. Poli-Seal is nice because it can remove minor imperfections and you can seal the product at the same time. Leave the Poli-Seal on and spray Optimum Car Wax on it and remove the excess Poli-seal. Cuts out one step. They're about to come out with some updated versions of some of their products and some new products. The quick detailer is suppose to be really really slick.

ObsessiveDetail has some great microfibers also. I've owned several brands of microfibers and these are the ones I always use if i'm polishing or waxing. Really, you cant go wrong with these. I'd put them up against the best out there and wouldnt be scared to use them on a Bugatti. The Amazing Dryer are some really nice Drying towels. I like using 2 of these when I ONR my car. That way I dont have to ring one of the towels out. I just pick up another one and go to town.

These are the products I use or have used. These are all just my opinions. Find something you like and gives you the finish that you like and stick with it. Believe me, its cheaper that way. I'm just a product junkie. I dont know everything about all these products but i've used them and these are just my opinions.

To get a great finish on your, get some hi-quality products, hi-qualitymicrofibers, and a PorterCable 7424 (dont forget the pads and backing plate). The PC will take your finish to a whole new level.Try going to autopia.org. You can read and read and read over there for days on end and find info on most every product made and used today.

Happy New Year,

Heath
Old 01-01-2008, 04:30 AM
Cooter
3rd Gear Member

Duragloss products are really nice products. Their polishes and waxes are really nice products. 111,101,105 and 901 are great products. 901 is one of the best car soaps you'll ever use Period. You couldnt ask for a better soap. Their quick Detailer- Fast , Clean, and Shine is a GREAT quick detailer. Their marine RV quick detailer is really nice. It leaves a great glossy finish. The DG 261 Tire Gloss is a sweet product leavesa deep dark, glossy tire. Aqua Wax is a great in between wax booster. The leather/vinyl treatment is okay. Smells like some perfume your grandmother might wear. Over all, there are some really good products in this
product line. You will be satified with all of them. You might be able to find them locally at Carquest.

Hope this helps some.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:17 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

I have slowly been changing my products over to Justins recommendations at Obsessive Detail:

Exterior

Car Wash: Turtle Wax Car Wash
Sponge/Mit: Turtle Wax Mit, only used on the Saleen and stored in a bag
Rims: Their chrome, so nothing beyond the car wash and drying with a mf towel with a shot of quick detail spray
Drying Towel: OD's large drying MF towel...Super Drier I think its called
Swirl marks: What are those
Buffer: Porter Cable
Polish: Optimum Compound & Polish
Wax: OD's Wet Wax
Sealant: don't use any
Tires: wash with the typical car wash (but not with the good wash mit!!), then shine with Stoners More Shine Less Time

Interior

Stain Remover: stains, in the Saleen [&:] But in other cars I use Tuff Stuff Foaming Upholstry Cleaner
Glass Cleaner: Stoners Invisible Glass....the best that there is
Cleaning: simple vacuum and a light wipe down with a mf and a shot of detail spray
Leather Seats: Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner (two separate products)
Protectant: OD's Interior Dressing....Silk Shine I believe it is called
Brushes: don't use any

For rims, say what you do for them, like the product you use to clean the brake dust off and if you use a brush or what on it. - Mentioned above

And my favorite product is my California Car Duster. As opposed to what some say, the thing works great and has done nothing to my finish except keep it dust free.

Oh, take that back my favorite product by far is CD-2 Engine Detailer for that show ready shine under the hood.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Wow, these are some really detailed lists. I was using Klassie All in One with a coat of Maguires carnauba originally, but when I went back and added multiple coats of carnauba I was getting greasy streaks.

I'm happy with my Obsessive products. Polish, Wax and Glaze. They smell great too. I also like Wet, Wipe and Shine detailer, my california duster and foam window cleaner. I use Mothers vinyl clener for my vert top and interior. I also use tire shine!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:10 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Exterior

Car Wash:
Meg's Gold Class
Sponge/Mit: Groute Sponge or sheep's wool mitt
Rims:
DifferentGroute Sponge
Drying Towel:
Danse Phat towel and OD super plush
Swirl marks:
OD light polish or poor boy's ssr2.5
Buffer:
porter cable 7424
Polish:
OD light polish or poor boy's ssr2.5
Wax: Soo many, favorite has to be Pinnacle Souveran paste
Sealant:
Optimum Opti-Seal
Tires:
Meg's Hotshine or Meg's hypershine (water based)

Interior

Stain Remover:
Tuff Stuff Foaming upholstery Spray
Glass Cleaner:
ammonia free windex
Cleaning:Meg's interior quick detailer
Protectant:
Optimum protectant plus (new formula)
Brushes:
Finger nail brushes, que tips, etc etc.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:56 PM
WhitePony02
3rd Gear Member

I'd like to hear from more of what you guys use, post post post!
Old 01-04-2008, 11:36 AM
sowaxeman
Retired Moderator

What, you don't trust the few of us that resonded [&:]......

I left WD-40 off my list - it is your friend for detailing as well. It can be used to wipe off wax residue from plastic trim, plus for black plastic trim it cleans it real well and leaves a nice, clean matte finish. I use it on black plastic bumbers, truck bed top protectors, scuff gaurds, window trim, etc.... You can leave it as is or when done put on a light coating of your favorite "shine" protector/dressing.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:20 PM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

Exterior

Car Wash: MgGuire's NXT
Sponge/Mit: Lambskin mitt
Rims: Crappy sponge and regular wash soap
Drying Towel: Large microfiber towel (got it off QVC)
Swirl marks: Mother's Swirl and Scratch remover
Buffer: Craftsman variable speed random orbit pad buffer (the Porter Cable was just too damn expensive)
Polish: Liquid Glass
Wax: Mother's California Gold Carnuba paste wax
Sealant: None
Tires: Black Magic tire dressing

Interior

Stain Remover: No stains! No food or drink allowed in my car
Glass Cleaner: Windex w/MF towel
Cleaning: Lexol Leather Cleaner/Conditioner
Protectant: Armor-All low gloss
Brushes: None

I will agree that the California Gold paste wax has to be put on thin, out of direct sun light and when the surface is cool. If you don't when you got to buff it out the wax will gum up your buffing pad and form these tiny little ***** of wax. But I do love the smell of the real carnuba wax.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:03 AM
MY 1 SALEEN S281

HOLLY CRAP I TOOK MINE TO THE CAR WASH AHAHAHAAHAH
NO F!@#$%&*ING TIME TO WASH IT MY SELF CUASE OF WORK AND NOW IT JUST SITS ON MY CARPORT WITH A ROOF OVER IT I STILL HAVE TO BUY A PIJAMA FOR IT. ALSO I HAVE NO TTAKEN A PIC WITH IT **** DUE TO TIME, IT ONLY HAS 650 MILES ON IT.

HEY ANYBODY HEARD ON THE CLEAR COAT PLASTICA YOU PUT AROUND THE CAR SO NO ROCKS AND **** WILL HURT IT, THEY CHARGE OVER HERE LIKE 700 TO A THOUSAND BUCKS TO PUT THAT STUFF ON......PRETTY SOON I WILL POST SOME PICS TAKE CARE PEOPLE HAVE A GUD ONE, DON'T GET PULLED OVER NOW