Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Using a claybar

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 01:31 PM
TruBlu03GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Using a claybar

This weekeknd will be my first time using a claybar on my car. What is the proper way toi do it? Lubrication?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Juztang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Using a claybar

I like to use a quick detailer as a clay lube. You want to spray plenty of lube on a 2x2 section, let the claybar glide over the surface. There is no need to apply any pressure at all. At first the surface will feel rough, once the claybar does its job the surface will be completely smooth. Do this on all of your paint, this can also be done to wheels and glass. I keep a couple pieces just for the wheels, you don't want to use the clay that you used on the wheels on your paint. I like to break the claybar up into about 4 pieces. Just use one piece and put the others back in a ziplock baggy, this way if you drop the piece you can throw that away instead of the whole claybar.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:49 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

Some spray detailer is good and a little spray bottle of water if you have it. Lube clay bar with a little detailer and work to a good shape in hand. Apply a decent amount of detailer spray to car and make sure to keep a good lube will moving on paint. No circular motion.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:45 AM
Madd_Maxx

I just got done using the mothers california gold claybar system on my "new to me" '06 ragtop and you would really be surprised how well it works. There isn't a lot of work involved other than one more step to that perfect wet look. Like has been mentioned before just use the quick detailer (I probably used more than I really needed) but for me the better lubed the better the clay worked. I kind of feels like you are wetsanding the piant finish only without any damage to your paint or clearcoat like sanding would do. When you first start with the claybar you can actually feel the dirt and garbage that is stuck to your paint surface and after a few passes with the clay they are gone.....all that's left is a glass smooth finish that's ready for wax. I would say it's the only way the ragtop is going to be taken care of as long as I own it. The shine is amazing and it's smoother than it was right off the showroom floor. Yes in case you can't tell already I AM very impressed after the short amount of time it took to do.....did the whole car with the claybar and wax in a couple of hours. I'm sure once you've done the claybar system a few time it doesn't take you that long but I wanted to make the car look it's best and it needed some real attention after the dealers idea of being detailed out. Was the worst case of automatic car wash detailing I'd ever seen from a dealer.

Bottom line don't be in a hurry and take your time for best results.

Madd Maxx
Old 03-15-2008, 10:30 PM
07Mustang3:73
1st Gear Member

Just do the clay bar while you are washing. You do not need to use the instant detailer to do the job right. It actually works better if you use the car wash soap. (better Lub) Then it also is done in one step vs 3. Good luck and post pics when the car is looking good.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:59 AM
buster
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Juztang

I like to use a quick detailer as a clay lube. You want to spray plenty of lube on a 2x2 section, let the claybar glide over the surface. There is no need to apply any pressure at all. At first the surface will feel rough, once the claybar does its job the surface will be completely smooth. Do this on all of your paint, this can also be done to wheels and glass. I keep a couple pieces just for the wheels, you don't want to use the clay that you used on the wheels on your paint. I like to break the claybar up into about 4 pieces. Just use one piece and put the others back in a ziplock baggy, this way if you drop the piece you can throw that away instead of the whole claybar.
I never really thought of the last part., I usually just pull the dirty part out, but come to think iof it, its not too smart to just do that.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:39 PM
TEXASGT/CS
3rd Gear Member

I have never used the clay bars before, do you have to wax after baring or is this a final step.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:50 PM
99 GT vert
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mustang sexual

I have never used the clay bars before, do you have to wax after baring or is this a final step.
clay barring is going to be one of the first steps you do

you will wash
clay bar
polish
then wax
Old 04-04-2008, 05:06 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Madd_Maxx

I just got done using the mothers california gold claybar system on my "new to me" '06 ragtop and you would really be surprised how well it works. There isn't a lot of work involved other than one more step to that perfect wet look. Like has been mentioned before just use the quick detailer (I probably used more than I really needed) but for me the better lubed the better the clay worked. I kind of feels like you are wetsanding the piant finish only without any damage to your paint or clearcoat like sanding would do. When you first start with the claybar you can actually feel the dirt and garbage that is stuck to your paint surface and after a few passes with the clay they are gone.....all that's left is a glass smooth finish that's ready for wax. I would say it's the only way the ragtop is going to be taken care of as long as I own it. The shine is amazing and it's smoother than it was right off the showroom floor. Yes in case you can't tell already I AM very impressed after the short amount of time it took to do.....did the whole car with the claybar and wax in a couple of hours. I'm sure once you've done the claybar system a few time it doesn't take you that long but I wanted to make the car look it's best and it needed some real attention after the dealers idea of being detailed out. Was the worst case of automatic car wash detailing I'd ever seen from a dealer.

Bottom line don't be in a hurry and take your time for best results.

Madd Maxx
It can take a LONG time the first time you do a clay; the very first car I had done was my old Saturn SC2, which was a DD. I clayed it about 2 months after I'd gotten it, and I couldn't believe how dirty the car felt. It took me 3 1/2 hours JUST to clay the car because there was so much junk on it. My clay bar also came up reddish because there was all this jet fuel fallout on my car (I used to live under the final descent flight path of John Wayne Airport in Orange County, and it all seemed to end up ON my car). But, when I was finished, the car felt smoother than a baby's butt. It's really easy to do the claying process, but you need to make sure you're using a lot of lube and just keep at it. Run your CLEAN hand over the surface when you think you're done to see if there's anything left, and if not, wipe off the excess quick detailer with a microfiber towel. It works WONDERFULLY.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:48 AM
ncponygirl
2nd Gear Member

I'm a huge fan of clay, thanks to Juztang's advice. I recently clayed my chrome wheels, and you wouldn't believe how much better they look. They stay clean longer, too. Claying makes it easier to polish and wax (the car, never the wheels), too!

Quick Reply: Using a claybar