Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Wet Sanding question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 12:09 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by LegendLives
If you never wet sanded before I wouldnt try it on your stang because even 2000 grit can be too aggressive,besides the factory clear coat is pretty thin, you cut thru that and now your talking about having to reshoot it $$$ I would try what juztang said first

Very true Legend.

Most detail shops use a 2000 grit, and I've seen that depending on the condition of the paint, they either use a 2000 grit, or a 3000.

Either way, go with what Justin said OP, and use wet-sanding as a last resort if you have never done it. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:00 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Originally Posted by Detroit_Muscle
OK thanks actually the guy had to be one of the most honest guys around. He started and after 10 mins called me and told me he could not get the spots out with jsut buffing. And asked if i still wanted him to finish detailing it. Then told me about wet sanding. Since your taking off some of the clear coat does that lessen how long the paint will last or do you just have to keep a nice coat of polish on it.
I have a place for you and they charge a fair price! where in D-town are you?
Originally Posted by Juztang
I would be kind of leary since the detailer told you it needed wetsanded right off the bat. Before I wetsand, I always try the least aggressive method first, like just using a buffer and a polish to get the water spots out. Most of the time waterspots will come out with just a polish.

Now sometimes the spots are etched into the paint and I have to wetsand. By wetsanding you are using different grits of sandpaper and taking some off the clearcoat off so that you can remove the marks. Also, after you wetsand, you will need a high speed buffer with an abrassive polish to take out the wetsanding marks. Then you will have to step down to a final polish with a polishing pad and the buffer. You won't be able to fix the wetsanding marks by hand.

I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself if you don't have any experience with it, I would take it to someone that has done this and is good at it. You don't want to get some hack that will mess up your paint.

The cost depends on how much work will be involved. I charge around $50-$60 an hour and you are talking several hours. The prices in your area will probably be close to the same if the place is reputable.
I agree with everything he says and he is the most knowledgeable on the forum IMO for paint maintenance and repair! Glad the guy was just being honest...a good detailer knows his limits

Ask for Chris and tell him Jason McGuire sent you- it's in Sterling Hgts and right across from the Ford plant at 18 mile and Van Dyke/Mound area.....show quality...I had them wet sand my front bumper cover to get some trash out of the new paint (done in SC) and amazing!!!!

http://www.trakon.net/customs/

they will do any and all paint and body work from now on!!!! (I can maintain it!)
Old 02-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
I have a place for you and they charge a fair price! where in D-town are you?

I agree with everything he says and he is the most knowledgeable on the forum IMO for paint maintenance and repair! Glad the guy was just being honest...a good detailer knows his limits

Ask for Chris and tell him Jason McGuire sent you- it's in Sterling Hgts and right across from the Ford plant at 18 mile and Van Dyke/Mound area.....show quality...I had them wet sand my front bumper cover to get some trash out of the new paint (done in SC) and amazing!!!!

http://www.trakon.net/customs/

they will do any and all paint and body work from now on!!!! (I can maintain it!)
Good info bro!!!

Justin is indeed one of the, if not the most knowledgeable people/persons on here!!!
Old 06-01-2009, 11:45 AM
JD5.0stang
1st Gear Member

hey man. im sure you have already finshed your job since this was posted over two months ago, but i have something that would doa great job. its froma small company and its called ultra finsh. its from new jersey. i used it on water spots and it took everthing out. i literally put it on my orbital buffer and went to town. my car lloks brighter and has zero water spots. i was still sceptical. so i walked over to my dads 85 corvette. this car had been sitting in the sun for 5 years and its a black car.without washing it i just squirted some of this stufff on and the black paint exploded. it waqs insane. look it up.