Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Paint problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 01:32 AM
Irish

Default Paint problems

I just noticed on my 01 Silver GT dark spots (like fingerprints) and streaks in the paint on the corner of my trunk and near the tag. You can only see them at an angle. If you look straight down you cannot see anything! The surface is smooth so it is in the paint. Any ideas? I am taking it to Ford this week. Some type of rust maybe?
Old 04-12-2003, 05:36 PM
Sicy Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default Paint problems

Have you tried using wax to buff it out?
Old 09-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Delilah

Default RE: Paint problems

I have a 2003 Ford Mustang, color True Blue, with paint issues. Within the last 2 months, my husband & I have photographed & documented some 20+ Mustang 's with paint problems within a 50 mile radius of our home. We have seen several with the whorl that you describe (fingerprint). In some, the paint has already started to flake and peel. We had an insurance adjuster look at ours and he stated that although we do have a bit of rock and bug damage, there is definitely a factory paint problem--not the paint itself but with what takes place before the paint is applied. We are currently looking at our options along with about 10-12 other Mustang owners in our area. Ford agreed to repaint my hood as a courtesy with me paying 20% of the cost but only the hood. We met a lady who had hers redone by Ford 2 years ago and it has already started to peel and flake, only 2 years after the repaint. If anyone else is experiencing the same issues with Ford Mustangs between 2002-2005, we would be interested in talking to you. We have found at least 1 2005 that shows signs of future paint problems. It has already started to pit and bubble. That one was on a car lot and the dealer didn't even want to talk about it!
Old 09-28-2006, 07:00 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: Irish

I just noticed on my 01 Silver GT dark spots (like fingerprints) and streaks in the paint on the corner of my trunk and near the tag. You can only see them at an angle. If you look straight down you cannot see anything! The surface is smooth so it is in the paint. Any ideas? I am taking it to Ford this week. Some type of rust maybe?
What you are describing is probably a clearcoat issue moreso than an actual paint issue. An actual paint issue would be apparrent from any angle.

Delilah: The flaking you're describing, is it color itself being removed? Like down to the primer or the primer and paint?
Now the bubbling that you described would be a primer/paint issue if the paint is what is bubbling and not the clearcoat.

GM had a huge recall/lawsuit back in the mid 90's that stemmed from a paint spray technique they used that did not properly bake the primer/paint before clear coating. What resulted were thousands of cars being repainted at GM's expense. See if your insurance person has any companies or websites they are aware of that track such complaints.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:52 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Welcome to the forums... Hopefully the dealer can get problems straightened out...
Old 10-11-2006, 06:55 PM
Delilah

Doesn't appear to be a primer underneath but yes, its just the color or appears to be. On other parts of the car where it has chipped, the chipped areas are white underneath, the hood is a bluish gray underneath. A guy called on Friday and said he had spoken to our insurance adjuster and they both reviewed the photos and reports and are in agreement that it is definitely a factory issue. We have noticed whorls (looks like a fingerprint in the paint) on some of the vehicles that is already starting to peel. The paint even flakes and peels off when going down the road and don't even think of washing it. No matter how gentle, it still flakes and peels off. Unreal!
Old 10-11-2006, 07:47 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

[sm=welcomesign.gif] to the forum. Check out the detailing section to see if the forum has address your paint issue before.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:10 PM
novashow

Default white not right

I recently purchased a 2007 Mustang GT/CS from an auction that had a blown motor and most of the accsories missing {side scoops, spoiler, hood scoop and seats] to say the least. My problem is that I purchased side scoops , spoiler and hood scoop, bought the paint...code HP/ high performance white in the single stage formula because I hate messing with clear and the tone of white is way off. I Have painted alot of cars before using clear and single stage and realize that clear can change the color somewhat but usually not white plus looking at the rest of the car[ under the hood...strut towers etc.] It looks to me the car is single stage because everything else forementioned is shiny. I compared it to my wifes 09 mustang which is Ruby Red and all the underhood parts are dull and inside the trunk lid is dull. Obviously no clear! Did Ford miss inform paint supplyers on the ingredients or what? I sprayed martin senior {2 different formulas] and even tryed some dupli=color to see if m s was off.Same color..tooo milky..not a bright white! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 07:06 PM
big401
1st Gear Member

White is hardest color to match, I am professional painter.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:07 PM
big401
1st Gear Member

They paint the bumpers seperate from the body of car when they are made, I see brand new cars with mismatched bumpers all time. Trained eye can see it not the average person

Quick Reply: Paint problems