Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

PTFE polishes

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 05:56 PM
ekim
1st Gear Member

Default PTFE polishes

Anyone have any pro's and con's to the use of waxes and polishes which use Teflon?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 07-12-2005, 01:38 AM
Anthony Orosco

Default RE: PTFE polishes

Yeah, all cons. They don't work, all hype.

Anthony
Old 07-13-2005, 10:15 AM
ekim
1st Gear Member

Anit that a bitch, are you aware of any really good polishs? I have been told that Zanio makes a really good polish.

Any opinions are welcome.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:11 PM
ryan1994mustang
4th Gear Member

i used some of that dupont wax with teflon right after it came out and i liked it, it made the paint look alot deeper and brought the color out alot. the only downside was it is kinda hard to take off.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Anthony Orosco

The new Zaino polish I hear is very good as well as Mothers new power polish and the one polish I use is Optimum Polish.

Any product with Teflon that works well, gives a nice deep shine can't be credited to the Teflon as those are not properties of Teflon. In order for Teflon to do what it does it needs to be baked onto the finish at very high temperatures.

Anthony
Old 07-13-2005, 11:52 PM
NCMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

I'm a big fan of all the Pinnacle products especially the Pinnacle Souveran paste wax if you have a black or red car. The ease of use, combined with the depth of the shine is unmatched in my opinion. Here is a photo of the hood of my car with five coats applied. Judge for yourself.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15429/7307A99DC18D4466AA09F12FF44EE4FB.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-14-2005, 12:32 AM
Anthony Orosco

Looks very nice...nice, deep and wet.

But you don't have 5 coats of wax on the car, you only have one coat that has been re-applied 5 times. Each succesive layer removes and replaces the prior one.

Anthony
Old 07-14-2005, 04:11 PM
NCMustangMan
2nd Gear Member

That may be true Anthony on your basic $10 wax from K-Mart or Pep Boys but not on the Pinnacle Souveran wax. If you allow 12 hours between coats it just builds layer after layer. Here is the quote fromt heir website which I have no trouble believing since I can judge for myself as I add each new coat:

Pro: Awesome, deep, liquid shimmer on black, red & dark color finishes.
Pro: Very easy to wipe on and buff off.
Pro: Can be layered and layered and layered!
Pro: Very paint friendly. Hides swirls.

Con: Below average durability. Plan on waxing every 60-90 days.
Con: Expensive but after you see the results, who cares!
Con: Only achieves maximum depth and liquidity on dark color paints.
Con: Requires a polish prior to first time application.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:30 PM
Anthony Orosco

Sorry but far too many paint chemists, actual makers of wax products, tell me otherwise and science agrees.

Since a paste wax must use solvents to liquify carnauba then laying one application upon another, even 24 hours later, will not really "lay" on top of the first layer but rather replace the first layer.

Why do companies claim you can layer their waxes? Well because they want you to use more so you'll then need to buy more. It is marketing and all manufacturers do it from dog food to hair shampoo. Pinnacle is a very nice wax but it is no better than a $10 tub of Gliptone paste wax, in fact the Gliptone gives you longer durability but appearance wise, panel to panel, no difference.

Don't get me wrong here, I love carnauba waxes, paste form, liquid form, I love the Pinnacle Liquid Souveran wax as it produces a great wet look and I was once an avid believer that you can layer waxes but now far to many people in the actual manufacturing side of the car care industry tell me it's just a myth. It does no harm, other than drain your wallet.

Anthony

PS - About those KMart, Pepboy waxes..... you would be shocked silly if you knew just how many waxes, cleaners and polishes that are sold in those stores are the SAME ONES sold through "boutique detail shops" for 2, sometimes 3 times as much.