Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

When washing your baby...

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 05:47 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Default When washing your baby...

Hey everyone when you guys/gals wash your baby do you go all out?
Meaning Wax, Tire shine, Armoral all your leather, Armoral your dash windows?
Specific product you use.

Ill just start with what I do when I wash my baby.
-Wash it every friday to get it ready for the weekend.
-Start with a light hose down.
-Use Mothers car wash, I apply soap 2 times.
-Dry car carfully.
-Mother Wax, I always wax my ride every week.
-Black Magic tire shine
- Might seem wierd but I use the Mothers Car wax on my chrome rims seems to make them pop a little more, Does anyone else do this?
-Use armoral on my black vinyl convertible top.
-Clean windows
-Armoral the inside of car, leather seats and dash.
-Vacum carpet

Thats about it takes about an hours time to do it but when its done im so proud.

After im all done with the car wash I drive it for a victory lap around town showing off my ride

Whats everyone else ways of washing there ride?
Old 07-13-2005, 12:50 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

Default RE: When washing your baby...

only an hour for all that? it takes me 45 minutes to wash and dry my car alone...

but not i don't usually go all out. i wash, dry, clean rims and tires, tirwet, clean windows, and wipe down interior. i vacuum every few weeks. wax once a month or so...
Old 07-13-2005, 01:03 PM
babygurl2000
I ♥ Acer

Armoral your dash
never use Armorall.
i use Mothers protectant
Old 07-13-2005, 01:09 PM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

atleast 1x, if it rains 2x a week:

-rinse entire car with water (at this stage i size up the task, any bugs on bumper? water spots needing extra attention? how dirty are wheels?)
-meguires car soap in 5gallon bucket and sheepskin mit (get ready)
-split the car in sections from top to bottom (start with top, go down windshields front and back -rinse -now i do the trunk deck, spoiler -rinse -hood, front bumper- rinse- enitre sides- rinse- rear bumper- rinse)
-now im done with basic wash so i move to wheels. i use meguires aluminum cleaner for wheels and use a sponge, not the sheepskin mit. - rinse - now i get the polished aluminum exhaust tips with the wheels cleaner - rinse
- drive car around block quickly to dry mostly then come back to use 100% cotton towel
- get ready for meguires nxt generation quick detailer. i park car in garage and let it cool for a few minutes while i put hose/soap and all up.
-once car is cool i wax it
-now i clean outside of windows and sideview mirrors with eagle 1 glass cleaner
-since it is ammonia free i will clean the inside tint) every other wash when it is dirty.
-i vaccuum, then i take a clean dry rag and dust the interior (no armorall for me.)
-pop the trunk and clean the inside/underside of the trunk deck with nxt generation detailer and clean any missed spots around car.

Now i too am ready for a victory lap around town lol

Old 07-13-2005, 04:17 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

I've tried the Mr. Clean autodry. It works pretty awesome, but the filter runs out fast where I live (nasty hard water). But I also use Eagle 1 spray on wax and Armorall tire foam. I try and wash/wax every week.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:22 PM
AtlanticBlue99
I ♥ Acer

o yea, i use meguires insane shine trie foam too
Old 07-13-2005, 05:06 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Use armoral on my black vinyl convertible top.
you know armor all ruins the top right? your sopposed to use hand cleaner
Old 07-13-2005, 05:10 PM
NewMexMustang
5th Gear Member

Does Amorall ruin your dashboard if you use it on that? It seems like it would help since it has UV protection.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:00 PM
91LXstanger
3rd Gear Member

ive been using armorall on my dash and console for awhile and it always looks great and never leaves any residue or anything....everyone just wants to use the NEWEST stuff, opposed to the stuff thats been around forever..(armorall). Its the property value.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:57 AM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

I try and keep the same order to this all the time when I go ALL OUT on Saturdays:

1. Spray entire car with just regular hose water (don't use auto dry...explain later)
2. Then i drop in some Meguiar's soft scrub car wash (pink stuff) into a bucket and fill teh bucket with water making my soap mix
3. I use just a car wash sponge (just a cheap $3.00 one) to completely scrub the entire car (not the windows)
4. Then I fill the bucket with just regular water and carefully pour it onto the car. I do not spray off the suds because i find that there is a nicer finish afterwards and it pretty much cut drying time in half cuz the water is flowing off leaving little to dry.
5. I then dry it off with a regular towel. I'm hoping to at some point buy a terry cloth or something actually meant for drying a car.
6. Then i use Meguire;s auto glass cleaner using a different paper towel for each window and one for the mirrors. This stuff makes the windows look great but it is not as 'streak free' as it claims. It needs a little bit of extra work to make it streak free.
7. Then i clean each wheel on the outside first and then the wheel wells. For this i don't usually use any product. I used black magic wheel cleaner once (used up the whole damn thing) but now, after keeping up with the brake dust, i find it pretty easy to simply take a rag to it. I dont use a wet rag because then it makes it more of a mess.
9. Idk about the rest of you but i like shiny exhaust tips. Now my dad's are easy to maintain cuz we bought his new in 04, I use this foaming spot remover (spot shot i beleive) intended for vinyl fabric and carpet and it's great. However when we bought my 01 used like 4 days ago holy sh*t!!! Lucky me i found this old Genuine Ford Spot Remover. Idk what's in it but omg it worked now my exaust tips are clean YAY!
10. I usually use Meguiar's tire shine but i ran out of the stuff a couple weeks back. I'm gonna try and find the stuff he has for it in an aerosal can and hopefully it'll last longer than the stuff in the spray bottle.
8. Then if it's that time of the month (lmao un-intended punn) i wax the car completely (like and hour and a half just waxing) with Meguiar's Gold Classic car wax. That stuff is utterly amazing I will never use anything else. I do not wax my car every week because i don't see the point to doing so. Usually Meguiar's will keep the water beading up for about a month wich is why I wax once a month.
9. I usually 'detail' my engine. By this I mean clean off my plastic parts with a plastic cleaner (forget the brand) and clean up the pony on the plenum.
10. Now we move on into the interior. I have been using armor all but have found the rumors about it disturbing so I'm probably gonna get Meguiar's shtuff since all of the other stuff under his name is AWESOME!!!!
11. I usually extensively vacuum the car every 2 weeks.
12. Clean up [][:@]

This whole process takes between 3-4 hours. I own a very clean car

Quick Reply: When washing your baby...