Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Water spots

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 06:36 PM
purpleswordfish

Default Water spots

OK, I searched and couldn't find much information on this particular subject, so my apologies if there is something that covers my issue in detail that I missed. Here's my problem, I own a 2012 Mustang, it's black and I live in an area that it gets wet several nights a week from rain, sprinklers, etc. Unfortunately, I also live in an area where I am not garaging the car, at least not yet (I have to see how much it will cost me to rent a garage). I live in FL, so the sun is brutal. As a result, water spots are scaring me right now since I know that they can wreak havoc on a paint job.

I have had the car for about a month and it doesn't appear that any damage has been done to the paint as of yet. I tested this by washing a small part of the car and drying it properly. But, having the car only about a month now, I realize that means almost nothing. I have owned black, blue and white cars in the past and only one (blue Ford Explorer) had water spot issues, despite all of them being kept outside primarily in the same area.

Am I overreacting? Will washing the car on a regular basis and waxing it a couple times a year avoid the issue? Can any detailing experts give me some tips on how to minimize the damage, even if the car will be kept outside a lot of the time (especially at work)?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:47 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Water spots are caused by dirty rain/water drying on your car creating the spots. Different colors show the spots better/less than others. Using a good wax and washing your car with filtered water and a cleaning agent (that prevents spots) helps but if it rains and there is any dirt in the rain or your car you will likely have spots. Wax will help bead the water off better to minimize them.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:42 AM
19stang88
3rd Gear Member

give it to me. I'll have it water spot, swirl free,
Old 04-11-2011, 06:38 PM
purpleswordfish

I guess my concern is whether or not the water spots will ever come out. A couple do not just wash right off with water. So my hope now is that with a full wash w/ soap and rinse that they will come out. I don't remember ever having this concern with other cars (even ones with dark paint), but some of these water spots don't look too friendly.

I'm washing the car for the first time tomorrow, so I guess we'll see. I'm just scared that my paint may be scarred permanently on the hood.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:36 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Well waterspots are basically nothing more than a kind of stain and it depends on what's inside the water that makes the drop. Is it composed of just dirt/dust or doses it have a large amount of pollutants. The more the nasty stuff that's in it and the longer it sits without washing, especially in the sun, the more the stain will soak into the clear coat.

Most stains are removable so unless it's a worse case scenario (like you live in a heavily polluted area with lots of acids in the air or park under trees which drip acids and sap) it's not a problem.
Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 AM
lizzyfan
Underboss

If the spots have been there for awhile and/or very stubborn, this stuff will take them out
http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/
Old 04-12-2011, 10:39 PM
SpeedDemon1992

Originally Posted by lizzyfan
If the spots have been there for awhile and/or very stubborn, this stuff will take them out
http://www.barkeepersfriend.com/
My old car had the water spot problem, which I had no luck removing (they had been "baked on" for too long). So what I ended up doing was getting a professional to take care of it. A lot of money later (to be fair it did take him 2 days to do the job), the spots were gone. From what I understood, he cut the clear coat with a polish using a sanding compound and an orbital buffer, then he used just normal wax on top of that. But it would not have been an easy job.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:06 PM
ResQman
2nd Gear Member

I own a Black GT as well. Welcome to the worst part-time job out there. I have had other cars that I really don't care about but the Mustang is special.

Try and detail it on your own first. Use GOOD QUALITY mitts, cleaners, polishes, and waxes. Wash your car in a shady area. There are various ways to dry your car, leaf blower or good quality microfibre. You choose what's right for you.

Try to Clay bar your spots out. After you Clay Bar, make sure you either use sealant or a good Wax to go back on top. Waxing will help when cleaning your car and help prevent spot buildup.

There is a TON of advice on the site about what method is best to clean your car as well as other sites on the web. Whatever you do, DONT use anything abrasive, not even 3000 grit or higher. You will regret it.

This is just my 2 cents worth I am sure others will chime in here so take it for what it's worth and good luck. FYI, I use Meguires products and they work great, just take your time. Post some pictures when your done.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:48 PM
pc_647f
1st Gear Member

If you keep up on regular washing and waxing, you should be ok. I had a 99 L that had bad spots on the hood, to the point they were etched in the paint, nothing but a professional was gonna take care of those. Black is beautiful, but it's sure damn hard to keep clean.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:42 PM
sullitf
1st Gear Member

I've got a black GT too, water spots and pollen can be a huge pain! I try to wash it whenever it gets rained on or covered in pollen so it doesn't have a chance to sit on my paint too long, but there really isn't much you can do past a good wash and wax

Quick Reply: Water spots