Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Shop towels causing scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 09:30 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Default Shop towels causing scratches?

So I have the dark blue color and any scratches show up very easily. Much easier than a white paint.

On friday I washed my car, dried it off, then waxed it using shop towels like these, since I have a bunch of new ones laying around

They are textured but are 100% cotton, so surely there's no way they can cause micro scratches? I used two clean ones, one for wax on, one for wax off. I think all of the swirl marks might be from previous owner going through the drive-thru car wash or using a harder brush
Old 11-14-2011, 06:53 AM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

I'm fighting those same scratches on my Vista Blue GT too ( I used Microfiber clothes and wash mitts) . I think that the edges of those shop towels might be the culprit in your case though.

Last edited by Jeffk; 11-14-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:16 AM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

They call them shop towels for a reason.

Invest in some quality microfiber towels, they're much softer and are designed for delicate painted finishes and not for removing grease from axles.

Microfiber Products
Old 11-14-2011, 11:24 AM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Yep. Cotton can be very abrasive.

I buy the blue terry cloth microfiber towels for drying after a wash and any kind of polishing and buffing. You can get 30-40 of them for $10-$15.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Yeah, a lot of the detailing supply vendors have bundles of microfiber for pretty cheap.

If you've never felt microfiber before you will definitely see/feel the difference once you get your hands on some.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:07 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Thanks guys, I'm going to order me some microfiber towels...
I was waxing without thinking about the texture of the towel

But looking through some of these posts, it looks like you can always remove those tiny hairline scratches.

edit: i just did a test with the shop towel and yes it does cause the scratches. I cant believe it. Repairable? When I waxed using shop towel, the paint already had a coat of wax from dealership.

Last edited by Jas5; 11-14-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jas5
Thanks guys, I'm going to order me some microfiber towels...
I was waxing without thinking about the texture of the towel

But looking through some of these posts, it looks like you can always remove those tiny hairline scratches.

edit: i just did a test with the shop towel and yes it does cause the scratches. I cant believe it. Repairable? When I waxed using shop towel, the paint already had a coat of wax from dealership.
If what you're seeing is minor toweling marks, you can use a medium grade hand polish to remove them such as Meguiar's Scratch X or if that doesn't do the trick Ultimate Compound works well.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek
If what you're seeing is minor toweling marks, you can use a medium grade hand polish to remove them such as Meguiar's Scratch X or if that doesn't do the trick Ultimate Compound works well.
thanks, i'm going to do that. also claybar.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:41 PM
Jas5
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Nick@Autogeek
ok i'm about to order on auto geek...but my head is spinning

I'm nixing the scratch-X because of the poor reviews... and the ultimate compound isnt even listed on the strength chart but i'm guessing its a 7-9 strength. I'm scared to use something that strong on my paint.,....but then again i'd be unhappy if I get a weaker product and it doesnt even work

Leaning towards the #80 (strength: 4) speed glaze because it sounds like the #9 swirl remover (strength: 3) is a bit weak by reviewers. But it's weird that people say scratch-x doesn't remove the scratches yet its listed as "4" strength.

Also plan to get Meguiar's #6 wax/sealant

Last edited by Jas5; 11-15-2011 at 04:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:15 PM
Nick@Autogeek
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Jas5
ok i'm about to order on auto geek...but my head is spinning

I'm nixing the scratch-X because of the poor reviews... and the ultimate compound isnt even listed on the strength chart but i'm guessing its a 7-9 strength. I'm scared to use something that strong on my paint.,....but then again i'd be unhappy if I get a weaker product and it doesnt even work

Leaning towards the #80 (strength: 4) speed glaze because it sounds like the #9 swirl remover (strength: 3) is a bit weak by reviewers. But it's weird that people say scratch-x doesn't remove the scratches yet its listed as "4" strength.

Also plan to get Meguiar's #6 wax/sealant
Go with the Ultimate Compound, it features SMAT abrasives, is easy to use and finishes great.