Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Micro Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 10:19 AM
mith
1st Gear Member

Default Micro Scratches

I'm not sure where to post this... BUT... I'll post it here and the mods can move it... (hopefully not).

I found a great solution to getting rid of micro scratches! I used Maguires window cleaner. Guess what!!!! It did a LOT better than Maguires polishes! Try it yourself! It really did a great job!
Old 04-01-2013, 01:03 PM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

huh ?
Old 04-03-2013, 06:09 PM
mitmaks
2nd Gear Member

Window cleaner got rid of scratches? I'm not buying it.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:10 AM
mith
1st Gear Member

Well, it didn't get rid of them, but it seems to have lessened them a bit. I'm just saying what I thought I saw. Don't really care of you believe it...
Old 04-06-2013, 02:51 AM
Coyote'13

Window cleaner beats wax in hiding minor imperfections? .... You know after you polish, you wax to protect AND hides the light scratches right? Polish is not going to hide anything....it shines it.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:56 AM
Coyote'13

O and I use Meguiars polish and wax all the time on a black car. I don't think their window cleaner is going to outperform their wax.....just sayin. Wouldn't the window cleaner strip off the compounds anyways? I haven't used window cleaner on my paint but I have waxed my windows with excellent results.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:26 AM
mith
1st Gear Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Coyote'13
Window cleaner beats wax in hiding minor imperfections? .... You know after you polish, you wax to protect AND hides the light scratches right? Polish is not going to hide anything....it shines it.
Maybe my post was misleading LOL.... I can still see the scratches. Maybe my initial observation was not accurate because the window cleaner was still wet? I wouldn't suggest that one use window cleaner over wax

Hey, I have a question for you... is it possible that when a person wipes off the dried wax, the dried up wax particles can be what's doing the scratching?

I just went into my garage and used some "Blue Coral" wax. I applied two very thin coats. I used my micro-fiber rag to wipe off the excess before it dried. Didn't really remove the micro-scratches.

Is it really even possible to completely remove those little buggers? Maybe I'm using a bad wax?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:28 AM
mith
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coyote'13
I haven't used window cleaner on my paint but I have waxed my windows with excellent results.
Ya, I've done that too. Car wax is awesome for sheeting off water on the glass!!!! I can almost drive in rain without using my wipers! It's really amazing.

BTW... your car is beautiful! 5.0! I have the little V-6, but I still love her heh.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Coyote'13

Originally Posted by mith
Maybe my post was misleading LOL.... I can still see the scratches. Maybe my initial observation was not accurate because the window cleaner was still wet? I wouldn't suggest that one use window cleaner over wax

Hey, I have a question for you... is it possible that when a person wipes off the dried wax, the dried up wax particles can be what's doing the scratching?

I just went into my garage and used some "Blue Coral" wax. I applied two very thin coats. I used my micro-fiber rag to wipe off the excess before it dried. Didn't really remove the micro-scratches.

Is it really even possible to completely remove those little buggers? Maybe I'm using a bad wax?
After you apply the wax, applied in warm temperature it drys and becomes hazy right. So wiping off the haze or excess off will not cause those little scratches. if you at any point contaminate the cloth used to wipe it off by dropping it or whatever i would get a new one bc there maybe small hard fragments on the drag that will create scratches regardless of wax. if your using just one or two micro fiber towels just make sure you are shaking them off as you do each section.

At this point a thin layer or wax has adhered to the clear coat filling in tiny scratches so it will greatly reduce those little guys. Keep in mind your really just hiding them. Those little scratches are mostly cause by washing. That's what turns a lot of paint into garbage. All that dirt that's on the surface is rubbed across the clear coat by using a dirty sponge, those little grits of dirt essentially turn your sponge into a sanding block if not cleaned constantly. If you wax your car every few weeks it will greatly help in prevention when washing. What I would do with my black ws6 is depending of how dirty it was I would rinse the sponge more frequently. If you can see dirt on your sponge a quick rinse on it is too easy. Another tip on washing it is top 3/4 of the car first the bottom 1/4 last. The nose should be washed separatley from the upper portion as well. Most of the dirt will be in this area from normal driving from the tires. If you've driven on a gravel or dirt road and noticed your dirt trail.....same thing but not visible during normal driving.

In regards to getting rid of the ones you have. You can get swirl scratch removal from auto parts stores. This is much less abrasive then wet sanding. If you put some on your fingers and rub them together you will notice a grit to it. Use that after you strip all the wax off. Apply it with a dual action orbital buffer. The larger clear coat scratches with have to be wet sanded. Any good detailer does that. I wouldn't recommending wet sanding yourself unless your very confident in your ability or are willing to live with the clear coat partially gone haha.

I didn't mean to write so much but it all related to the question :P
Old 04-06-2013, 03:05 PM
Coyote'13

Almost forgot thx about the car comment!

Quick Reply: Micro Scratches