Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

First time wash and wax...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 06:52 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Default First time wash and wax...

I just went and bought all new stuff to wash and wax my car and hopefully I'll get to it either this weekend or next Friday.

I just purchased or purchased since I bought my car:
Motorcycle engine cleaner/detailer
Mother's car wash
Meguiars Clay Bar Kit (two clay bars and detailer spray for lubricant)
Turtle Wax Carnauba car wax (I'm keeping it old school; it's what my dad always used on the cars when I was growing up)
Wash mitten
chamois clothe
wax applicators
30 microfiber towels
wheels cleaner wipes
tire shine with applicator

I think I'm going to have a long day ahead of me when I finally hit this! Any tips?
Old 08-22-2014, 07:08 AM
Aluminator

I noticed you are using motorcycle engine cleaner. I was looking for a way to clean/degrease my engine and have used normal engine degreaser with below average results. Is Motorcycle engine cleaner better in your opinion?
Old 08-22-2014, 10:48 AM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

Here are some tips for ya:

Put the car soap in one bucket and fill it up normally then get another bucket and fill with just water. Take ur mitten and dip it in the soapy water, wash a panel, then dip it and agitate it in the plain water bucket, repeat this will minimize the grit/dirt/contaminates that u can scratch ur car with.

Dry with a plush microfiber towel.

the best way to get streak free windows? Windex? no. water. while drying your car use a moist side of the drying towel and dry your windows. It has to be a little moist. I NEVER have streaks.

to clean wheels, take a secondary old mitt, after your done washing the car, and wipe/clean the wheel lightly with the soapy water and plain water bucket, then dry and clean with old crummy towel. no chemical solutons needed.

to shine the tires, i use an aerosol can. i just spray the wheels, let them sit for 5-10 then do one swift light swipe over the tire with a old crummy towel. this makes your tire shine but on also will NOT have any sling-off.

If you want to clean/wipe down the interior, dont use straight armor all (grease), cut it with 3-4 parts water and 1 part AA. or get some dash cleaner from surf city garage. love that stuff.

for wax, nothing wrong with carnauba, it will give the paint a nice glow and shine, but doesnt last as long as synthetic. its a trade off. personally i use Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax. it goes on easily and comes off just as easily. smells good and leaves the metal panels feeling "soft".

clay bar is a great addition to your routine, make sure u have the bar lubed enough. if u drop it, its prolly best to discard it. knead it often
Old 08-22-2014, 11:02 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cema93

Put the car soap in one bucket and fill it up normally then get another bucket and fill with just water. Take ur mitten and dip it in the soapy water, wash a panel, then dip it and agitate it in the plain water bucket, repeat this will minimize the grit/dirt/contaminates that u can scratch ur car with.

the best way to get streak free windows? Windex? no. water. while drying your car use a moist side of the drying towel and dry your windows. It has to be a little moist. I NEVER have streaks.

to clean wheels, take a secondary old mitt, after your done washing the car, and wipe/clean the wheel lightly with the soapy water and plain water bucket, then dry and clean with old crummy towel. no chemical solutons needed.

to shine the tires, i use an aerosol can. i just spray the wheels, let them sit for 5-10 then do one swift light swipe over the tire with a old crummy towel. this makes your tire shine but on also will NOT have any sling-off.

If you want to clean/wipe down the interior, dont use straight armor all (grease), cut it with 3-4 parts water and 1 part AA. or get some dash cleaner from surf city garage. love that stuff.

for wax, nothing wrong with carnauba, it will give the paint a nice glow and shine, but doesnt last as long as synthetic. its a trade off. personally i use Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax. it goes on easily and comes off just as easily. smells good and leaves the metal panels feeling "soft".

clay bar is a great addition to your routine, make sure u have the bar lubed enough. if u drop it, its prolly best to discard it. knead it often
Thank you, thank you! A couple of those things I had read, a bunch of that, I didn't know!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:05 AM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Aluminator
I noticed you are using motorcycle engine cleaner. I was looking for a way to clean/degrease my engine and have used normal engine degreaser with below average results. Is Motorcycle engine cleaner better in your opinion?
I don't know for myself how it's going to work yet. I have a co-worker who suggested it to me, with a specific named product (that I can't remember). I can tell you that his heavily modded 2001 Bullitt's engine bay looks past showroom clean. Everything has a really nice, clean sheen to it.

I'll take before and after pictures and let you know the name of the product.
Old 08-22-2014, 02:02 PM
cema93
2nd Gear Member

ur welcome. any more questions just ask
Old 08-22-2014, 07:24 PM
steel pony
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GLOCKer
I just went and bought all new stuff to wash and wax my car and hopefully I'll get to it either this weekend or next Friday.

I just purchased or purchased since I bought my car:
Motorcycle engine cleaner/detailer
Mother's car wash
Meguiars Clay Bar Kit (two clay bars and detailer spray for lubricant)
Turtle Wax Carnauba car wax (I'm keeping it old school; it's what my dad always used on the cars when I was growing up)
Wash mitten
chamois clothe
wax applicators
30 microfiber towels
wheels cleaner wipes
tire shine with applicator

I think I'm going to have a long day ahead of me when I finally hit this! Any tips?
Replace the chamois with a microfiber waffle weave towel (or 2). Chamois are a thing of the past and most people don't wash or care for them correctly-let alone replace them-thus turning them into dirt magnets. Also "flat weave" drying towels (chamois is one) do not allow a break in water surface tension causing it to pull up any surface treatment you may have applied. Waffle weaves are 5x more absorbent than chamois and the pattern allows for proper release of water surface tension. It's the little things that make a BIG difference and will help cut time from your washing

Originally Posted by cema93

Put the car soap in one bucket and fill it up normally then get another bucket and fill with just water. Take ur mitten and dip it in the soapy water, wash a panel, then dip it and agitate it in the plain water bucke[t, repeat this will minimize the grit/dirt/contaminates that u can scratch ur car with.

The 2 bucket system is recommended to limit and minimize the transfer of dirt from one spot to another. You should never, never, never agitate dirty water! All that does is stir up the dirt from the bottom and retrap it in your mitt! Dirt is heavier than water and will sink, if you let it. When rinsing your wash mitt, lightly dip it into the rinse bucket and wring it out. You can do this several times, but don't dip your mitt more than halfway into the rinse bucket.
Take your time and don't be in a hurry. That leads to more mistakes and problems than anything else.

While you're at it, you might as well seal up that black car to keep it as shiny and clean as long as possible. Add a sealant or protectant before your wax for that extra pop! Follow your wax up with a quick detailer to ensure no wax residue is left behind.

Your best tool is a super soft finishing cloth to give your car that final "once over" in case you missed anything and that final buff of perfection!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:41 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

Dump the chamois.

Dump the Turtle Wax junk. Buy Meguiars or another quality product.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:30 PM
GLOCKer
2nd Gear Member

Okay, going to exchange the chamois and turtle wax. What exactly should I buy for wax? Synthetic? Page or in a squeeze bottle? What sealer product should I buy?
Old 08-23-2014, 10:22 PM
cruisin5268d
4th Gear Member

You should read and make product purchases based off of what your research tells you is best for: your budget, your habits, your preferences, your needs and your car. Meguiars has their own online forum that is a treasure trove of information.

Quick Reply: First time wash and wax...