Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Paint Matching a body mod

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Glockshna

Default Paint Matching a body mod

Hey guys, first post here so sorry if this isn't strictly in the correct place. I saw paint related tutorials in the sticky so I figured it'd be okay to post this here.

I am looking at getting a front bumper modification for my new stallion but I've never modified a car before. I have a 2016 V6 in Oxford White. How difficult is it to get the paint matched? The place I'm looking at the kit doesn't offer them pre-painted. I'm assuming that white is probably one of the easier colors to get done. Secondary to that, how much should I expect to pay? I'll do the actual installation and everything myself. I just need the part painted.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:28 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Best way to get a color match is the have the shop paint the bumper while it's on the car, they will probably want to blend it into other panels like the fenders and hood too. It can get expensive because of this.

If you just have the part painted separate, they can match the OEM color based on the paint code but depending on the age of the car, condition of the original paint, and paint fade over time the OEM color may no longer be a perfect match.

Hard to say. Talk to a couple of shops and see what they say. Some will use a color spectrometer to modify the OEM paint code to better match your existing paint. Those are your best bet for "just paint the part" mods without all the blending.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:02 PM
Glockshna

Originally Posted by Derf00
Best way to get a color match is the have the shop paint the bumper while it's on the car, they will probably want to blend it into other panels like the fenders and hood too. It can get expensive because of this.

If you just have the part painted separate, they can match the OEM color based on the paint code but depending on the age of the car, condition of the original paint, and paint fade over time the OEM color may no longer be a perfect match.

Hard to say. Talk to a couple of shops and see what they say. Some will use a color spectrometer to modify the OEM paint code to better match your existing paint. Those are your best bet for "just paint the part" mods without all the blending.
All good points. The car is relatively new, a 2016 with less than 15k miles and the previous owner garage kept it so I'm not too worried about the paint being off. My local go-to body shop said it would be about 500. I didn't specify if I wanted them to install it or not so I'm thinking that may include installing the part. I'll do some more shopping around. I have time. Probably not going to get it done until around spring time. Replacing the wheels and tires first. Thanks for the reply!