Detailing Discuss detailing and the appearance of your ride inside and out here.

Armorall build up?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 11:25 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Default Armorall build up?

armor all build up gunk? This stuff isnt coming off. I tried some dawn and warm water and that seemed to push it around, removed a small amount i guess (could see it on the rag) My next step it going to be white vinegar+dawn unless that's a bad idea. I tried some purple power on a spot and it had no affect. Not sure simple green would do any better, maybe let it soak? Is simple green too strong to use?

I've never had this issue on a car before, but I've not had this one long, I feel like me cleaning this made this kind of show up more. I ve been advised to use 303 from now on. Any input welcome on how to remove this apparent build up.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:26 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

That looks like it's a plastic material issue. Most resins used for car parts have a certain amount of plasticizer added or left over from the injection mold process to give the part some additional sheen, strength or feel. It's part of what gives a car it's new car smell as well.

Sometimes the plasticizer separates from the resin and migrates to the surface. Kind of like when chocolate has oils that separate out and you get that milky flaky stuff that collects at the bottom/top of the piece. It's not appetizing to look at but the chocolate is still fine. In this case the part is still fine but it tends to ruin the look of the part.

As for how to fix it. I don't really know. None of the automotive cleaners/enhancers have plasticizers as it's on the molecular level. You can probably try to hide it with a interior plastic/vinyl paint. Prep the surface with denatured acohol first though, otherwise the paint won't adhere to the surface.
Old 02-22-2019, 12:55 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

this is what it looked like after some soapy water.

Old 02-22-2019, 01:47 PM
proeagles
4th Gear Member

I was just going to say just use soap and water. Throw away the Armor all and any other product like it. That stuff is no good for any material IMO. I have a buddy who uses it on his floor mats and you can pull a groin muscle getting in and out of his truck with your feet slipping out from under you. Just don't get it.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:49 AM
08'MustangDude
Banned

Armor all DOES build up, and bake on when exposed to the Sun. If you look it up, there
are videos that show the layers that peal off when you just apply, apply, and apply.
CLEAN first, then apply...
Old 02-23-2019, 02:26 PM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

I find that maybe windex and a few clean paper towels pulls it up. You're cleaning looks much better. I think you nailed it.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:40 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

ok so passenger side is passing for OK

but drivers side is looking bad now.

So this is a little experiment i did. I got a magic eraser and tested a spot. This eraser makes it look ghosted/chalky. I looked at the eraser and it had a lot of grim on it. So I am not sure if I pushed the stuff around, or I have "sanded" the spot. This at least makes the surface even and not blotched. So I took the sample area and tried 2 different products on two different spots to get a shine back, neither did anything. I tried simple green on a spot and it did nothing.

I am not sure how much elbow grease I need to be putting into this. The last thing I am going to try is white vinegar.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:43 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Are you using a microfiber towel specifically? Those tend to pick up sh*t better than a normal hand towel.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:27 AM
hmrdown

try using a good all purpose cleaner. or go over to autogeekonline.net those guy's will help you.
hmrdown
Old 02-25-2019, 09:55 AM
GT Nate
2nd Gear Member

don't use magic eraser, that's micro fine sand paper...will take the sheen right off for good.

Quick Reply: Armorall build up?