Forum Issues and Feedback Discuss any issues you are having with using Mustang Forums here.

Recent "Adobe Flash Player" error message, causing IE8 to freeze

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 11:20 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Question Recent "Adobe Flash Player" error message, causing IE8 to freeze

I did search this particular forum section, but found no exact match to my problem, and other problems are of an older nature. Seems [a similar] problem was solved a while back, but this may be new.

To start, my platform is:
  • WinXP SP3 (w/all updates applied)
  • Internet Explorer 8 (w/all updates applied)
  • Adobe Flash Player: v10.0.42.34 (latest version, as of this post)
BTW, before I get inundated with suggestions to switch to Firefox (which may solve the problem), there are reasons I 'need' to use IE8.

A couple weeks ago, when browsing the forums, I started receiving this message: (and the one below just happened right before I posted this)

I'll type in the error, verbatim, below in order for the forum search engine to pick it up later (for those having the same problem and looking for some help):
  • A script in this movie is causing Adobe Flash Player 10 to run slowly. If it continues to run, your computer may become unresponsive. Do you want to abort the script?
Consequently, my browser freezes -- no matter how I answer the query -- causing the need to kill it completely (w/force - e.g., via task manager, pskill.exe, etc.)

Wouldn't have thought to post about it here, but I'm finding this is the only site that is causing this to happen (* see added note at end of post). I have Google'd this problem, too -- so I see that it's not uncommon -- going back quite a while.

I could disable the Flash Player, but I need it elsewhere.

Anyone else notice this error recently?
Thx.

P.S. To add:
  • I have uninstalled / rebooted / reinstalled Flash -- no dice.
  • Turned off antivirus software -- no dice.
  • Thoroughly housecleaned my temp/cache/prefetch files -- no dice.
P.P.S. To add again:
  • * For the first time today (02-Jan-2010) this error hit me on a different site: Yahoo. But unlike when it happens here, the error message responds to clicking Yes, and I didn't have to kill my browser (e.g., the page continued to load.)
  • Also, from comments below, it's not completely platform specific to what I use.

Last edited by 7up; 01-03-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Added specific troubleshooting mesaures I took; Added that it happened elsewhere.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Lax07
2nd Gear Member

I have noticed this. I run Windows Vista and Google Chrome as browser...
Old 01-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Dales03GT

I'm having the same problem. My internet is setup exactly like 7up's. I thought something might have been wrong with my computer cause i'm having this same problem on the F150 forum i'm a member of. Glad to see i'm not the only one dealing with this nuisance.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:57 PM
StripeyGT
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation

I'm also receiving this error occasionally. I have a similar set up to 7up.

Thanks.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:16 AM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

I'm just curious to know why you must use IE. Is it a corporate / company pc that you can't install FF on? The reason I ask is because I do know that many websites require IE, but the majority of them can be viewed as long as you have the IE Tab plugin for FF. I use both browsers on my corporate pc, but only because there is one or 2 internal apps that require IE and are simply not compatible with FF any way you look at it. Other than those 2 internal apps. I use FF 98% of the time.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:07 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

It's moot now. Other browsers and platforms fail with this message, too. Frustrating is that it didn't happen (for me) -- even while using IE8 -- before early December, 2009.

I've always been of the opinion that software companies make strange (and unpredictable) bedfellows.

Adobe, as useful and productive as some of their software is IMO, isn't immune from this association, either.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:36 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Everybody should trash IE and use FF.....FF seems to be much more compatible with the site over any other browser....
Old 01-08-2010, 11:06 PM
7up
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mygt500
Everybody should trash IE and use FF.....FF seems to be much more compatible with the site over any other browser....
I've certainly uttered my fair share of 4 letter words at IE over the years.