General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

will be replacing clutch by myself

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 11:08 AM
97cobraGAD!!!
1st Gear Member

Default will be replacing clutch by myself

After calling the dealer and asking how much they would charge me for changing a clutch, i decided to buy a spec stage II clucht kit from mustangtuning.com and do it my self. $490.00 for just labor is crazy. I've changed the clutch to a 91 sentra before, I don't thik this one should be that hard to do.

I'm asking for any tips or suggestions. Any thing that i should avoid? To the ppl who has done it before..........how long does it take? any special tools?

Any info would be really appreciated.

Thanks alot and God bless!
Old 02-28-2006, 11:26 AM
monkeydude3
6th Gear Member

Default RE: will be replacing clutch by myself

I've done clutches on RWD cars before (and I'm also planning to do one on my 97 GT, got it sittin in my room) and I've been told you gotta jack it up as high as you can. And you'll need a good array of sockets, with a few universal swivel joints. I would reccomend that you have the flywheel resurfaced too, then your clutch will wear in and last longer.

anyone else wanna add to my info plz I hear some of you guys saying it takes you a weekend or less

George
Old 02-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Magiarn71
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: monkeydude3

I've done clutches on RWD cars before (and I'm also planning to do one on my 97 GT, got it sittin in my room) and I've been told you gotta jack it up as high as you can. And you'll need a good array of sockets, with a few universal swivel joints. I would reccomend that you have the flywheel resurfaced too, then your clutch will wear in and last longer.

anyone else wanna add to my info plz I hear some of you guys saying it takes you a weekend or less

George
Hell yeah, less than a whole weekend. I had one out waiting for parts and put it back together in one day by myself. Jacking up the tranny with your ankle is the hard part, but you get off easy with light housings and no transfer case, not like a truck! lol

The kit should come with an alignment tool, make sure you can slide that thing in and out REAL gentle and easy once the disc is in, so you won't have any trouble sliding in the tranny. If the kit doesnt have one, get a new throwout bearing. Also some people recommend to change the pilot bushing but they can be a PITA to take out, even with the special tool to remove them.
Old 03-01-2006, 02:06 AM
97cobraGAD!!!
1st Gear Member

Thank you very much for the replies, should get that flywheel resurfaced and nice to know that it takes less that a week. I found this site with some steps on how to remove the
t-45 just in case anyone else needs it too.

http://home1.gte.net/txsnakecharmer/trans.htm

Thanks again and GOD Bless!!!

P.d: keeps those tips and comments coments coming if ya'll have any