General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.

oil in the intake

Old 03-13-2006, 02:23 PM
carcrazy
1st Gear Member

Default oil in the intake

So my 2.3 was running like crap and smoking ALOT. Thought the guy who had it before me messed up the timing so i took off the intake hose to get to the valve cover and noticed oil in the throttle body.I took that off and i also have gotten the upper intake mani off. I was thinking of getting carb cleaner to clean out the tb, upper, and lower intake mani's..as well as the intake runners, is that a goof idea? will it work well?. I pulled the spark plugs to let the cylinders dry out some but is there a way to get all of the oil out other then pulling the head off? I also am getting new plugs and wires.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:49 PM
MustangChris04
5th Gear Member

Default RE: oil in the intake

carb cleaner will work fine. Just clean it all out and you should be fine. Put everything back together and you can spray carb cleaner around the seals while the car is on and if it sucks it in you know you have a leak.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:07 PM
pdk
2nd Gear Member

sound like pcv draw thru
some people put air/water sepeartors inline or a breather. i dont think those take the heat and they have a small can which doesn't catch all the oil in the air (for some people)

i use this, i think it's perfect:
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...0475&langId=-1

clean it, then if you want you can use either a air/water seperator, catch can or breather catch can to prevent it from happening down the road. most people think its overkill

i'm not sure why you are getting so much draw thru tho?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:12 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

That's prety cool, I have breathers on mine but they make a mess out the the valve cover. For $45 that looks prety good, how does it compare with the steeda?
Old 03-13-2006, 05:17 PM
pdk
2nd Gear Member

i forgot i have a pic in the gallery of the jaz

heres a pic of the breather catch can attached to the power steering bracket

i think the steeda piece ($60) is an air/water seperator you can buy at homedepot or the like (for air compressors, paintball guns, etc)

[IMG]local://upfiles/9837/327516EF7ABC4C52A96EA453698E8CFA.jpg[/IMG]
Old 03-13-2006, 05:20 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

I was going to run a two out let PCV on my passanger side to my drivers then from the passanger's second to the catch to the intake. Is that what you did?
Old 03-13-2006, 06:16 PM
pdk
2nd Gear Member

i only have one vavle cover hole on the drivers side and that is routed to the breather can. the other side of the breather can is plugged up with a plastic piece that came from jaz

there are two holes in the breather can (plus the drain valve on the bottom), so you can route it from each vavle cover to the breather can.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

You can make a separator that returns the oil to the engine while it's running.Use a longer section of hose and go up to a larger diameter,this slows the air going through the hose.If you raise the end closest to the T/B the oil will condense on the inside of the hose and flow by gravity back into the engine.To give the oil something more subsantial to condense onto you can stick some copper pot scrubber mesh inside the separator tube.
Old 03-14-2006, 12:14 PM
turbostang21
5th Gear Member

running a catch can with breathers and plugging the intake is a good idea, but there's also a good chance your turbo needs to be rebuilt....seals are probably bad. make sure you clean the entire intake plumbing and intercooler since the oil acts as an insulator. use gasoline or rubbing alchohol in the intercooler and intake plumbing
Old 03-15-2006, 06:19 PM
2VNA
4th Gear Member

I think I am going with what you did but I am going to do it with the two into one.

thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: oil in the intake