General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel System Tuneup

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 05:13 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Default Fuel System Tuneup

I got a call from Ford Dealership saying I need to have my injectors cleaned as well as my induction system.

What's involved in all that? Can I do it myself?

I would look all this up in the Haynes book, but right this second I may be dealing with a termite infestation. So thanks to those who answer.
Old 03-14-2006, 06:23 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Fuel System Tuneup

Just running chemical cleaners though your injectors and the intake system. That's about it. How much they want to charge you for it?
Old 03-14-2006, 07:46 PM
86gt5.0HO
2nd Gear Member

unless you have the special canister that feeds the injectors with cleaner, then no. The intake cleaning also requires a special canister that meters cleaner into the engine while it's idling. You could go out and buy these tools, but it would be a bit of a waste concidering you will only do it to one car. It would prolly be cheaper to have Ford do it.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PRO50SC

Just running chemical cleaners though your injectors and the intake system. That's about it. How much they want to charge you for it?
My car is a 97 and from what I have seen not a whole lot has been done to it before I purchased it used. We just replaced the belt, spark plugs, wires and the fuel filter over the weekend. The parts taken off the car seem to be original. Not a good sign.

The dealership wanted to charge me about $110 to do the tuneup. My husband says he'll put in the injector cleaning fluid himself the next time I fill up the tank.

I would like to know if I can clean the induction system myself and which products should I use.

Thanks guys!
Old 03-14-2006, 08:20 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

You can do it yourself. But using store bought stuff is usually not as good as commercial grade products. I would know. (Been a tech for 20 years) As someone stated above, the chemical used is applied though a pressurized canister and fed through the intake system. Same for the injectors as well. It does a nice job. Not saying store bought will have no affect, it is better than nothing. However, the professional way is much more efficient.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:31 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

That's not what I really wanted to hear. LOL!! But with the mileage at 82,000 miles maybe I should reconsider getting it done. The problem is how do I know that it really needs to be done and they aren't just drumming up business for themselves.

My situation is that Crystal and I want to do a hot rod tour in June and want to have the car in perfect shape before leaving. All these repairs are eating into my budget.[:@]
Old 03-14-2006, 08:40 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: Leadfoot

That's not what I really wanted to hear. LOL!! But with the mileage at 82,000 miles maybe I should reconsider getting it done. The problem is how do I know that it really needs to be done and they aren't just drumming up business for themselves.

My situation is that Crystal and I want to do a hot rod tour in June and want to have the car in perfect shape before leaving. All these repairs are eating into my budget.[:@]
Well, how is the car running? If it's ok you can prolly get away with just some pro grade tank additive. the products we use are made by a company called BG. Not sure if you've ever heard of them. Go here, http://www.bgfindashop.com/locator/index.php enter your info and see if there is a dealer near you. Check out their products. I use them in all my cars and have been for over 10 years. It's expensive, but worth it.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:43 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

This may help you out a little too.

http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/fuelair.htm
Old 03-14-2006, 10:11 PM
Leadfoot
2nd Gear Member

Actually we have two mustangs and they are both 97's. We have a V6 for Crystal and a V-8 for myself. If I can use the same product for both cars, maybe it would be worth purchasing because her car has 128,000 miles on it and it may need to be cleaned too.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:05 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

ORIGINAL: Leadfoot

Actually we have two mustangs and they are both 97's. We have a V6 for Crystal and a V-8 for myself. If I can use the same product for both cars, maybe it would be worth purchasing because her car has 128,000 miles on it and it may need to be cleaned too.
Yeah, same product, any car.

Quick Reply: Fuel System Tuneup