General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

a/c system

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 12:39 PM
KillSwitchNY
2nd Gear Member

Default a/c system

i have an 88 GT and some ******* before me cut some of the air conditioner lines on my car so i have no a/c.

what years did the a/c system stay the same for, and would i be able to use everything from a 4 cyl?

i figure i might as well find a parts car and hope it has working a/c that i can swap unless anyone knows where i can find complete systems minus the compressor
Old 03-18-2006, 01:21 PM
Chopper
5th Gear Member

Default RE: a/c system

The parts should fit but I have no experience with you particular application.The trouble comes when you get everything put together.Anytime an A/C system is discharged and is allowed to sit exposed to the air,water and dirt get into the system and the lube gets out.This will kill the compressor quickly and clog the orifice tube and corrode everything else.I would strongly recommend that before you put anything together you talk to an A/C expert and see if the new/used parts can be cleaned outside the car.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:29 PM
03YellowPony
6th Gear Member

Default RE: a/c system

ORIGINAL: Chopper

The parts should fit but I have no experience with you particular application.The trouble comes when you get everything put together.Anytime an A/C system is discharged and is allowed to sit exposed to the air,water and dirt get into the system and the lube gets out.This will kill the compressor quickly and clog the orifice tube and corrode everything else.I would strongly recommend that before you put anything together you talk to an A/C expert and see if the new/used parts can be cleaned outside the car.
+1. If you were to bring it to me, as a certified A/C tech, I'd recommend replacing most of the remaining system. SOMETIMES, you can get away with flushing the system. But that depends on how long it's been open. Minimally, I'd recommend new hoses, as the older ones are not up to the higher pressures of R-134, a new orifice tube, new reciever/dryer, and a full flush of the system.