General Tech Ask model specific questions in the appropriate category below. All other general questions within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

gettin a gt

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 05:01 AM
85stangGT

Default gettin a gt

hello im thinking of buying an 85 gt. i just wana know if there are any underlying problems with these cars that i may not notice at first? the car has 200k miles on it rebuilt tranny and some performance upgrades. im getting it for 1300, is this too little? should i look for something to be wrong?

also this is my first v8 american car. how high should i rev while racing? where does the powerband sart to drop off.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:30 AM

Default RE: gettin a gt

You should probably only rev it out to that little thing called the Redline, and the power band would be below that. That's all you really have to consider. It's just like any other car.

Old 02-28-2004, 01:41 PM
N2OJunkie
I ♥ Acer

is unpredictable with that kind of mileage, unless a new motor has been dropped in...otherwise cant ask a lot for that price, which is still a little high...
Old 02-28-2004, 01:44 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

well for not be able to see it..1300 for any 5.0 is ok I guess if the body is in good shape....just look it over good is all
Old 02-28-2004, 03:55 PM
85stangGT

Default .

the car runs really well i see the guy who is selling it dive all the time and that thing is quick as hell. sounds mean too. i think he has done full exhaust and he has a holley 4 barrel carb. rebuilt tranny and some other stuff. 1300 sounds pretty reasonable. i have a lot of confidence for ford and chevy v8's they just seem so strong, even at 200k it would still run amn good for a long time. and at that cheap a price i could get the engine rebuilt and it wouldnt be too much
Old 02-29-2004, 12:51 PM
TheGmKiller331
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: .

Unless that motor has been freshened up with at the minimum an overhaul kit the last thing you should be thinking about is revving it or racing it.Yeah american V8's are some hardcore engines and run quite some time but theres only so much abuse anything can take before giving out.

Since you are scoring this for that cheap i would park it and invest the time and money in rebuilding this thing up to be powerful and reliable.The learning experience alone will be worth the cars weight in gold.Just make sure that this car is what you are looking for body and interior wise that way more funds and effort can go to building up a serious power house.

Other than that the only advice i have for you is take your time and shop around.
Old 03-02-2004, 04:04 PM
85stangGT

1300 i thought was a reasonable price the interior is in pretty good shape. i know parts for the car have to be cheap, how much do you guys think im looking to spend on rebuilding the engine. the tranny has been rebuilt and it runs fine right now. the guy said its burning a lil oil so i know i immediately need new pistons and rings, maybe even need ot hone the cylinders. is honing about as much as boring? am i looking over 2000 dollars to get this car back in factory running condition?
Old 03-02-2004, 05:51 PM
VertStangGT86
4th Gear Member

As for money machining can get expensive real quick. 1300 sounds decent, maybe even a tiny bit high, if they body's great and the interior as well then it's probably about right. You might also wanna look for a wrecked stang to get an engine out of. There's a stang salvage yard around where I live and he'll sell you an engine for like $500. Check out stuff like that too, then you can build it or get it built and still drive the car, then put it in when it's ready.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:54 PM
mkspeed26
5th Gear Member

you are in the same boat i am in, well will be in, and you have a few options with the rebuild. what i am going to do i put a DSS stroker kit (balanced) for $1270. all you need to complete a rebuild is a good gasket set, cam bearings (if you want), an block work. this will give you a good power increase (about 50 hp and a sh*tload of torque) and it will be a great platform to start on. the two other options are to get a re-ring kit or an engine rebuild kit.
Old 03-02-2004, 06:44 PM
85stangGT

so it would just be more cost effective to get a newer engine from the junkyard and drop it in than to fix the 5-oh in there now? the summit racing rebuild kit is nice only 900 bux and you have basically a new engine. i guess i have to ask around and see how much a 5-oh goes for in a junkyard

Quick Reply: gettin a gt